[Michlib-l] Job opening: Reference Assistant, Part Time, Plymouth District Library

Holly Hibner hhibner at plymouthlibrary.org
Thu Sep 8 11:50:04 EDT 2022

*JOB POSTING: REFERENCE ASSISTANT *

HOURS: Part time
Non-Exempt, 12 hours per week
Schedule focus is evening and weekend hours, including Sundays

STARTING $16.35/hour
WAGE AND BENEFITS:
Pro-rated vacation and sick time, holiday pay when holiday falls on
scheduled day
Continuing education opportunities

TO APPLY:
Email a thoughtful cover letter and resume to
humanresources at plymouthlibrary.org. Applications due Monday, September 19
at 4:00pm

WHAT WE ARE LOOKING FOR:
We are seeking an enthusiastic Reference Assistant to provide reference and
readers advisory service to patrons of all ages. The successful candidate
will have a strong commitment to public service.

OUR LIBRARY AND COMMUNITY:
Plymouth District Library is located in busy downtown Plymouth, MI, midway
between Detroit and Ann Arbor. We serve the Plymouth Community which is
comprised of 36,650 residents living in the City of Plymouth and the
Charter Township of Plymouth, as well as the patrons of 75 Detroit-area
libraries through a reciprocal borrowing agreement facilitated by The
Library Network.

The library serves as a significant community hub and maintains strong
partnerships with local and regional community groups, governments,
schools, businesses, and cultural organizations. Plymouth’s rich history
has included the library for nearly 100 years. Strong community support has
resulted in a dedicated perpetual millage, a robust Friends organization,
and more than 100 adult volunteers. Pre- pandemic, over a 1,000 visitors a
day used the library to participate in programs, use our meeting and study
rooms, borrow materials, use technology, and connect with others.

The library contributes significantly to the high quality of life available
in the Plymouth community. Our sense of community is created by beautiful
neighborhoods, spacious parks, robust sport, education system, cultural and
arts organizations, and dedicated community service organizations. Our
vibrant, walkable downtown is full of unique shops, restaurants,
entertainment and recreational options, all surrounding Kellogg Park as the
centerpiece and host of year-round events. The library is just steps from
all of this in our central downtown location and plays an active role in
community events.

Plymouth District Library is an equal opportunity employer. We seek to
represent and reflect our community in all that we do. Plymouth District
Library does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin,
age, marital status, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability,
religion, height, weight, or veteran status.

*JOB DESCRIPTION: REFERENCE ASSISTANT *

JOB SUMMARY:
Reference Assistants provide service to the public at the youth, readers
advisory, and reference desks. They may also carry out ongoing or special
projects to support collection management and programs. Schedules include
evening and weekend hours, including Sundays.

JOB DUTIES:
• Provides all library users with assistance in reference, readers
advisory, and information literacy
• Technology skills on a variety of information delivery platforms, such as
chat, text, email, phone, fax, mobile devices, social media, content
management systems, audio, and video
• Assist patrons using online library catalog, e-resources such as e-book
and streaming platforms and research databases, public access computers,
copiers, and print management system
• Strong online searching and information evaluation skills
• May assist librarians in special projects in collection management or
promotion, such as creating displays
• Participate in programs and special events as assigned
• Attend and participate in staff meetings and committees
• Demonstrate respect and support of diversity and inclusion of cultural
values, and continually develop cultural awareness and understanding of
self and others
• Performs other tasks as assigned

REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, ABILITIES, AND MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS:
• Combination of education and experience, including Bachelor’s degree or
two or more years of related experience/training
• One to two years’ experience providing direct customer service
• General computer skills such as word processing and Internet searching
• Ability to communicate effectively by phone, computer, and in person
• Familiarity with library services and resources preferred
• Enthusiasm for learning and adapting to new ideas and technologies
• Interpersonal and judgmental skills necessary to work effectively with
library staff and patrons in a busy environment
• Ability to effectively present information and respond to questions from
patrons, managers, and coworkers
• Must work effectively with adults, teens, and youth, and be enthusiastic
about library services for all ages
• Flexibility in scheduling required; this position requires evenings and
weekends throughout the year, including Sundays.

Holly Hibner, MLIS (She/Her)
Adult Services Coordinator
Plymouth District Library
223 S. Main Street