[Michlib-l] Unattended Children Policy

Jocelyn Levin jlevin at ltpl.org
Thu Sep 8 12:40:10 EDT 2022

A.         All patrons, including children, are expected to comply with the
Library’s policies, including its Patron Behavior Policy.  Parents,
guardians or Responsible Caregivers shall review and be fully aware of all
Library policies governing children, particularly the Internet Use
Policy. *“Responsible
Caregiver” is an individual who is responsible for monitoring or caring for
a child or vulnerable adult and who must be at least 16 years old.*
B.         Parents, guardians and Responsible Caregivers are responsible
for the behavior and supervision of their children regardless of age while
in the Library.
C.         Library staff will not be expected to supervise or monitor
children’s behavior.
D.         *Children 12 and under must be attended by a parent, guardian or
Responsible Caregiver. * The parent, guardian or Responsible Caregiver
shall remain in the Library at all times.  If a child under the age of 12
is attending a Library-sponsored program on the premises, a parent,
guardian, or Responsible Caregiver is to remain on the premises for the
duration of the program or sign a permission slip authorizing the child to
attend the program unattended.
E.         Children of any age who, because of developmental disability,
mental illness, physical disability or other similar reason, require
supervision or personal care shall be attended by a parent, guardian or
Responsible Caregiver at all times.
F.        *Children ages 7 and under must be within the visual contact of a
parent, guardian or Responsible Caregiver at all times*, including during
programs and visits to the restroom.  Children 7 and under may not be left
in the Children’s Area alone.
G.         Library staff will not be responsible if unattended children of
any age leave the Library premises alone or with other persons.  Further,
Library staff will not be responsible for children who may be asked to
leave the Library if the child is in violation of Library policy.
H.         We request that all unattended children be picked up at least 15
minutes before closing time.  Parents, guardians and Responsible Caregivers
need to be aware of when the Library closes.
I.          *Children 13 years or older must know their telephone number
and other contact information if they are unattended at the Library*.  It
is a violation of Library policy not to come immediately and pick up your
unattended child if the Library calls.