[Michlib-l] Makerspace Programming Survey - IMLS Grant Project

Lancaster, Cathy (MDE) LancasterC5 at michigan.gov
Mon Apr 3 10:47:27 EDT 2023

Are you responsible for developing and delivering makerspace or making programming and services in your library? Makerspaces are flourishing in public libraries, yet little is known about the inclusive programming being provided to library patrons, especially youth with disabilities. Makerspace programming can address inequities in underserved communities (including youth with disabilities), by providing access to various making technologies, skill acquisition through training, and peer and professional mentoring, each critical to today's youth with disabilities who plan to move into the workforce, but also essential for improving each youth's quality of life. Our research team, Drs. June Abbas and Yong Ju Jung from the School of Library & Information Studies at the University of Oklahoma, is conducting a national survey (funded by the Institute for Museum and Library Services) investigating the current state of programming, design, and accessibility of United States' public library makerspaces' programs for youth with disabilities.
We invite you to participate in our survey by going to: https://ousurvey.qualtrics.com/jfe/form/SV_1Lig00rRn3jDZ1I. The survey will take approximately 15 minutes to complete. We plan to present the results of the survey at a future ALA or PLA conference and to share our findings widely on social media and our project website. We want to hear from you about how your libraries are meeting this critical social need!

If you have any questions about participating in the survey, please contact me at: jmabbas at ou.edu<mailto:jmabbas at ou.edu>.
Thank you for considering this invitation.
Dr. June Abbas
jmabbas at ou.edu<mailto:jmabbas at ou.edu>
University of Oklahoma Research Team

This project was made possible in part by the Institute of Museum and Library Services IMLS # LG-252323-OLS-22. "The Institute of Museum and Library Services is the primary source of federal support for the nation's libraries and museums. We advance, support, and empower America's museums, libraries, and related organizations through grantmaking, research, and policy development. Our vision is a nation where museums and libraries work together to transform the lives of individuals and communities. To learn more, visit www.imls.gov<https://gcc02.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.imls.gov%2F&data=05%7C01%7CLancasterC5%40michigan.gov%7C67531bb542914748e25b08db313cc35f%7Cd5fb7087377742ad966a892ef47225d1%7C0%7C0%7C638157909260372869%7CUnknown%7CTWFpbGZsb3d8eyJWIjoiMC4wLjAwMDAiLCJQIjoiV2luMzIiLCJBTiI6Ik1haWwiLCJXVCI6Mn0%3D%7C3000%7C%7C%7C&sdata=uKlPterznyJDk22J%2B27xrJkCPyTbpPIOAuv7uQyXzqg%3D&reserved=0> and follow us on Facebook and Twitter.

Cathy Lancaster
Youth Services Coordinator
Library of Michigan
702 W. Kalamazoo St.
Lansing, MI 48915
My Pronouns: She/Her/Hers - See www.mypronouns.org<http://www.mypronouns.org/> to learn more.
LancasterC5 at michigan.gov<mailto:LancasterC5 at michigan.gov> | 517-335-8129 | www.mi.gov/libraryofmichigan<http://www.mi.gov/libraryofmichigan>
Follow us: Facebook<https://www.facebook.com/libraryofmichigan/> | Twitter<https://twitter.com/libraryofmich> | Instagram<https://www.instagram.com/libraryofmichigan/>

Join the MiYouth<https://gcc01.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=http%3A%2F%2Fmail2.mcls.org%2Fmailman%2Flistinfo%2Fmiyouth&data=02%7C01%7CNorrisS2%40michigan.gov%7Caf51448f1e92415533aa08d6f4b53328%7Cd5fb7087377742ad966a892ef47225d1%7C0%7C0%7C636965456410852648&sdata=nModcBWFyzGoDGK%2FtwsSeAXV%2F85AQKEtzzQQj%2FV%2B5fM%3D&reserved=0> Listserv, created for Michigan public library staff to share and discuss children and teen programming and services.