[Michlib-l] Fwd: Registration Open For Teaching Race in America: A Professional Development Conference

Emily Spunaugle spunaugle at oakland.edu
Mon Apr 3 17:49:40 EDT 2023

Dear colleagues,
Please share this invitation to the Teaching Race conference widely; open
to educators and librarians at all levels.
Best,
Emily

[image: Oakland University]
<https://t.e2ma.net/click/icekkh/aqrhvf6b/6yrgsu>
College of Arts and Sciences

*Dear Educators,*
We hope you are having a great school year!
*Registration is now open for* "*Teaching Race in America: A Professional
Development Conference" (August 9, 2023). *To register for this SCECH
conference, please click on the button below. *Registration costs $20. *
*Presenters and Workshops*
The conference will feature presentations by Nikole Hannah-Jones (creator
of *The New York Times’*s 1619 Project and Knight Chair in Race and
Journalism at Howard University School of Communications), Roy Finkenbine
(Professor of History and Director of Black Abolitionist Archives at the
University of Detroit Mercy), Carlin Borsheim-Black (Professor of English
Education at Central Michigan University), and local teachers and
university professors.
*Call for Proposals Extended to March 31!*
How do we discuss our nation’s racial past and present in our classrooms
and communities? How do we honestly examine and confront the history of
race in the United States in today’s contentious environment? How should
teachers respond to those who want to exclude any discussion of systemic
racism in our history, culture, institutions, and economy?
We are seeking proposals for breakout sessions aimed at sharing effective
classroom strategies. To learn more about submitting a proposal, please
check out our workshop goals and the button links for the conference
webpage and proposal form below.
*Workshop Goals*

   - Participants will gain a richer set of perspectives on the challenges
   and benefits of teaching race through intentional and honest conversations
   with colleagues.

   - Participants will explore new strategies and approaches for teaching
   race and equity.

   - Participants will examine instructional resources to teach race, and
   determine areas of application in their ELA and Social Studies classes.

   - Participants will engage with and develop a plan to implement
   discipline-specific approaches to anti-racist instruction in ELA and Social
   Studies classes.

*Conference Information*
If you are interested in attending or submitting a proposal, check out our
conference webpage. If you have any questions, please contact us at
outeachingconf at oakland.edu.
Thank you for your time and consideration!

Best,
Conference Planning Committee
College of Arts and Sciences
School of Education and Human Services
REGISTER HERE <https://t.e2ma.net/click/icekkh/aqrhvf6b/mrsgsu>
SUBMIT A PROPOSAL <https://t.e2ma.net/click/icekkh/aqrhvf6b/2jtgsu>
CONFERENCE WEBPAGE <https://t.e2ma.net/click/icekkh/aqrhvf6b/icugsu>
Oakland University
College of Arts and Sciences
Varner Hall, Room 217 <#m_-6365073530482400174_m_-5981544864681171878_>
371 Varner Drive <#m_-6365073530482400174_m_-5981544864681171878_>, Rochester,
MI 48309-4485 <#m_-6365073530482400174_m_-5981544864681171878_>

outeachingconf at oakland.edu
oakland.edu/cas/professional-development-conferences/
[image: Oakland University Facebook Logo]
<https://t.e2ma.net/click/icekkh/aqrhvf6b/y4ugsu> [image: Oakland
University Twitter] <https://t.e2ma.net/click/icekkh/aqrhvf6b/exvgsu> [image:
instagram] <https://t.e2ma.net/click/icekkh/aqrhvf6b/upwgsu> [image:
Oakland University Youtube]