[Michlib-l] Collection development policies

Klaudia Janek kjanek at bloomfield.org
Fri Apr 28 11:32:02 EDT 2023

I'm happy to share what Bloomfield Hills has.  We use a LOT of language
from ALA.
The tricky part for a school library without a librarian is that the person
buying is responsible for the justification of the purchase.  If a person
(librarian, teacher, administrator...all who have certification from the
state as experts) is not a professional in terms of buying curriculum
material or curriculum adjacent....it's hard to justify a policy.   So, if
you cannot justify your purchases based on professional reviews or
curriculum connections, who is taking responsibility for signing that
purchase order?  It's a big responsibility.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1O9cI4PdFMsa31VS2PDBSRETSTe7czXti2J0gWRrdEMU/edit?usp=sharing

Best-
Klaudia

On Fri, Apr 28, 2023 at 9:57 AM IB Britney Dillon via Michlib-l <
michlib-l at mcls.org> wrote:

> Hi, all-
>
> Is there anyone out there who has a good SCHOOL library collection
> development policy/collection maintenance policy? I am working with a local
> school district to update their policies, and would love any samples that
> you might have.
>
> Thanks!
>
> Britney Dillon (she/her/hers)
> Library Director
> Alvah N. Belding Memorial Library
> 302 E. Main St.
> Belding, MI 48809
> 616.794.1450
>
> "You want weapons? We're in a library. Books are the best weapon in the
> world.
> This room's the greatest arsenal we could have. Arm yourself!" - The Doctor

*International Academy*

www.iatoday.org <http://www.iatoday.org>