[Michlib-l] Public Playing of Music

Steven K. Bowers sbowers at tln.org
Wed Aug 2 13:38:12 EDT 2023

Hello everyone,

I am hoping someone has a quick and easy answer. We have a library with an event this Saturday and they intend to play music publicly. There municipality has just informed them that they need a license to so so, similar to showing a public movie. It was the library's understanding that as a non-profit they did not have to have a license since it is a free event and they are not profiting from using the music.

The library was looking at this site: [ https://cloudcovermusic.com/music-licensing-guide/when-is-it-legal/ | https://cloudcovermusic.com/music-licensing-guide/when-is-it-legal/ ]

So, my question, do all of you assume you can play music at events without a license, or do you get the license? The library is fine to do the latter but doesn't want to get a license if it is unnecessary.

Thanks for any feedback you may have. Time is of the essence!

Sincerely,

-Steve

Steven K. Bowers
Executive Director