[Michlib-l] Social workers in libraries

Mary Beauchamp mbeauchamp at petoskeylibrary.org
Tue Aug 8 13:35:03 EDT 2023

Greetings.
I apologize if this has been asked before, but our library would love to hear from any of you who have experience in hiring a social worker. Especially if you are a Class 4 library...
My questions :

Does your social worker have a Masters? Or are they interns?
If they are part-time: do they set office hours? Or go by appointments?
How did you find funding for them?
Has it been useful for your patrons?
How do you promote it, especially to those people that are hard to reach but might really benefit from it?  (Homeless, etc.)
Any major problems?
Do you pay for professional liability insurance?

Thank you!

Mary Beauchamp
Collection Development & Reference Librarian
Petoskey District Library
500 E. Mitchell St.
Petoskey, MI 49770