[Michlib-l] "The Zoo" Joins MAP!

Jim Flury jflury at tln.org
Thu Aug 24 11:51:29 EDT 2023

Good Morning,

Well, I'll bet that subject line got your attention!

Throughout the years one of the most common MAP related questions from patrons and from library staff, aside from "How Do I Check Out A MAP Pass?" has been "Does 'The Zoo' participate in the Michigan Activity Pass program?" Now, Michigan has a number of zoos. As that is the case, "The Zoo" can mean different things to different people, depending upon where you live. In SE Michigan, "The Zoo" means the venue that straddles Royal Oak and Huntington Woods. But if you live near Grand Rapids, or Lansing, or Saginaw, or Naubinway, "The Zoo" can have a different meaning.

We recognize "The Zoo" is a popular family destination, wherever it is. As such, we have always actively recruited "The Zoo" for MAP, wherever it happens to be located. These efforts have usually met with limited success. TLN's Member Engagement Coordinator DJ Bond is currently making a strong push to get "The Zoo" (the Huntington Woods/Royal Oak one) into MAP. I don't know if this is possible or not. I've tried in the past. I do believe that if anyone is capable of getting "The Zoo" to join MAP, that person is DJ.

In the meantime, recruitment efforts of potential MAP destinations is ongoing. One that we have always wanted to get but were never able to, until today, is "The Zoo." This is a very popular zoo, whose residents are much larger, much louder, and consume much more than the residents of the average zoo do. What am I referring to here??? Drum roll, please:🥁

MAP is very pleased to announce our newest destination partner, Air Zoo Aerospace & Science Museum in Portage [ https://www.airzoo.org/ | https://www.airzoo.org/ ]

Air Zoo is a venue we have long wanted and tried to recruit for MAP, with no success. I believe the new, much easier to navigate MAP software, combined with the additional publicity the program has received as a result of greater promotion by libraries, was the tipping point for Air Zoo to join MAP.

The addition of Air Zoo means we now have two of Michigan's premier aviation museums in MAP, the other being Yankee Air Museum, which deserves its own shoutout account they have been a MAP partner since the program started 16 years ago, in Fall, 2007.

Since everyone always asks, the "offer" for Air Zoo in MAP is $5.00 off the price of any ticket when the patron presents a MAP pass.

We hope you, your patrons, and your families and friends enjoy a visit to "The Zoo" very soon.

As always, t hank you for your continued support and promotion of the Michigan Activity Pass program.

Jim Flury

Jim Flury
Technical Services Manager
The Library Network