[Michlib-l] [partnerscda] FREE Programming Opportunity For Michigan Public Libraries: Steam Railroading Institute (SRI) in Owosso

Jean Fellows progcoord at gladl.org
Fri Aug 25 11:12:39 EDT 2023

We hosted a program from them last January on Steam Power-- covers
their steam railroads and other devices that are/were powered by steam. We
created a steam power craft kit for the participants to take-and-make and
built one a the library for folks to try-- it really worked!
 It was a fun and entertaining program, parents and kids alike enjoyed it.

As a caution:  Scheduling was a bit challenging. We reserved the program in
June with a staffer who ceased their affiliation by August, with no notice.
Emails went unanswered for weeks. I finally tried a different address and
got connected to staff that could help. Everyone arrived as agreed and the
program was a success, so no harm, no foul-- just a nervous few weeks!

On Fri, Aug 25, 2023 at 8:42 AM Kate Van Auken via Michlib-l <
michlib-l at mcls.org> wrote:

> [...]
>>

>> --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
>>

>> *STEAM RAILROADING INSTITUTE (SRI)*
>>
>> *FREE Interactive PowerPoint Programs for Michigan Public Libraries
>> through TLN*
>>

>> The Steam Railroading Institute is an official Non-Profit 501C3 Volunteer
>> Organization that is the historic caretaker of the Famous No1225 Super
>> Steam Locomotive! It was used for many of the visual and audio train
>> aspects in the Christmas movie “The POLAR EXPRESS” with Tom Hanks. SRI
>> is also an active new partner with the Michigan Activity Pass (MAP),
>> helping to support this exciting program. They can be reached at the SRI’s
>> website
>> <https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__www.michigansteamtrain.com&d=DwQFaQ&c=euGZstcaTDllvimEN8b7jXrwqOf-v5A_CdpgnVfiiMM&r=iJ7Qlye5mk59pQHpYKILwg&m=sSh1lBR7RuU-fhMRqZkf6yJDm7wdYLfxecRUVil1kFIxjMX9DUfb3f7fEehZA3kZ&s=ZE8bEURQaVERoED4BrSEJdhhnI5enQeZvtbQMyW0LSk&e=>
>> www.michigansteamtrain.com
>> <https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__www.michigansteamtrain.com&d=DwQFaQ&c=euGZstcaTDllvimEN8b7jXrwqOf-v5A_CdpgnVfiiMM&r=iJ7Qlye5mk59pQHpYKILwg&m=GPn8cjzyBzYqRmQG1Qb7Nml9dCqtPgw43hUBcNVlA4hzbEfhr9CKkCqyKX7mDHqF&s=LxnvS99SEWe7BW4eEwABAch0trp8dFq5n0IfRZQS0dA&e=> ;
>> where all their activities are illustrated, information also in real-time
>> updates, volunteer opportunities if desired and much more! *CONTACTS for
>> FREE POWEREPOINT PRESENTATIONS can simply be made** through Steam
>> Railroading Institute by sending an email to:   info at michigansteamtrain.com
>> <info at michigansteamtrain.com>*  . Please include your Library’s name,
>> contact information, which presentation(s) you might be interested in,
>> possible dates, and they will personally respond with a prompt call to you. From
>> school students, FIRST GRADE to HIGH SCHOOL and other organizations both
>> social and business; SRI will excite you by bringing the Super Steam
>> Locomotive History to life. Sign up and get on-board for a special event to
>> remember!!
>>
>> *A listing of SRI Programs are shown below and our volunteers will come
>> to your location anywhere in Michigan.*
>>
>> 1.   The SRI Volunteer Organization, it’s purpose and passions
>>
>> 2.   History of the Famous No1225 Pere Marquette Steam Locomotive and
>> its role in the movie “The POLAR EXPRESS”
>>
>> 3.   How Steam Train Engines Work
>>
>> 4.   History of the Chicago & North Western No175 Steam Locomotive and
>> its restoration (newest addition to our Steam Locomotive Family)
>>
>> 5.   Train Robberies in Michigan and the Mid-West
>>
>> 6.   Magic Man Behind the Scenes for the historic No1225 Steam
>> Locomotive  – Mr. Forest Akers (newest program in development)

Jean Fellows
(she/hers)
Programming Coordinator
Grand Ledge Area District Library
131 E. Jefferson St.,
Grand Ledge, MI 48837
517-627-7014

*The Grand Ledge Area District Library is situated on ancestral,
traditional and contemporary lands of the Anishinaabeg – Three Fires
Confederacy of Ojibwe, Odawa and Potawatomi peoples-- land ceded in the
1819 Treaty of Saginaw. For more information, see the article from Central
Michigan University
Library:https://blogs.cmich.edu/library/2019/11/26/the-1819-treaty-of-saginaw/#:~:text=In%20the%201819%20treaty%2C%20the,living%20on%20the%20ceded%20territory.