[Michlib-l] Dearborn Public Library Zoom Oscar Talks with Bruce Davis & Michael Schulman

Lodge, Daniel dlodge at dearborn.gov
Tue Jan 31 10:42:58 EST 2023

Everyone - As part of our Oscar Contest, we will be talking virtually on Zoom with the following experts on all things Oscar and the Motion Picture Academy

*         Thursday, February 16th 6:30pm - Bruce Davis author of The Academy and the Award: The Coming of Age of Oscar and the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences

Considering its incredibly high profile, it is shocking that the Academy of Motion Picture Arts & Sciences, the organization behind the Academy Awards, has yet to be deeply explored. Mr. Davis, Executive Director of the Academy for twenty years, tells a revealing and compelling story of the people, famous and infamous, who shaped a marginal organization that teetered on the brink of bankruptcy, into what became a juggernaut in the entertainment industry and a major cultural institution.

*         Thursday, March 2nd 6:30pm - Michael Schulman author of Oscar Wars

While many other books on the Oscars act as yearbooks with encyclopedic coverage of every ceremony, Oscar Wars is narrative-driven and selective: each of the book's eleven chapters takes a deep dive into a particular year, category or conflict that represented a turning point for the Oscars, for Hollywood, or for the culture at large. Oscar Wars is deeply researched and supported with extensive interviews with Hollywood insiders, and features never-before-seen correspondence and documents from the Academy's Margaret Herrick Library.
  I hope you can join us! You can register for each program by visiting the Library website (www.dearbornlibrary.org<http://www.dearbornlibrary.org>) and click on the Events Calendar and Registration Link.

Dan Lodge
Librarian I Adult Services
Dearborn Public Library
Dearborn, MI