[Michlib-l] What is the future of your audiobook on CD collection?

Katie Rothley krothley at northvillelibrary.org
Wed Jul 12 18:46:35 EDT 2023

I hope no one minds if I stick my two cents in here:

I'm guessing the people who check out audiobooks on cd are a majority of
older adults that are (I say this with kindness and no judgment) either
reluctant to learn a new technology or intimidated by/resistant to digital
things. They also probably have (and I'm assuming here) older vehicles that
still have cd players in them and/or the equipment at home that supports
this older format. Lots of people have most assuredly moved on from
physical CDs with the advent of streaming, but I still get a question every
once in a blue moon about VHS! Shocking, I know. But it still happens.

I've assisted many older adults who have come into the library seeking help
with their tablets gifted to them by well-meaning children and family, and
they almost always say something to the effect of not having someone to
teach them at home and unwanted, uncomfortable overwhelm at the prospect of
learning AT ALL. There's a vulnerability in asking for help to learn
something, and even bigger one to ask a total stranger. It's always a
pleasure to help them because they often want to keep up with the advances
but they just didn't grow up with technology. Sometimes I think they're
afraid of making a mistake, appearing stupid, or causing some kind of harm
to the physical devices or software itself, and I love reassuring them that
that is not the case. I can't speak for anyone else, but my generation has
(and my experience has been) the advantage of growing up with technology
and the culture of independence to finagle with and figure things out
ourselves. This has in fact gotten me in trouble a few times because I like
to push buttons, ha. With aging adults, however, sometimes they just need
reassurance and coaxing to adopt new technologies (not that streaming is
really all that new anymore).

I'm also guessing Deb would absolutely LOVE to spend her budget on
something more impactful to her community. And I don't mean that audiobooks
on CD aren't impactful, because they mean something to the small minority
of people still using them. But I can imagine it would be so rewarding to
provide a new service or collection that would get heavier usage and
therefore largely change circulation stats dramatically.

I have to insist with fervor that this is an absolutely wonderful
opportunity to do something to encourage the ongoing and fearless
exploration of digital content. Maybe they just need hand-holding! Maybe
this means holding a quarterly program to introduce old and new
technologies in a safe and encouraging environment. Maybe this means
offering one-on-one appointments so they don't feel stupid in front of
other people.