[Michlib-l] Job Posting: Full Time Outreach and Community Relations Librarian

Amy Greschaw agreschaw at belleville.lib.mi.us
Thu Jul 20 14:20:35 EDT 2023

Greetings!

The Belleville Area District Library is hiring for a full-time Outreach and Community Relations Librarian. For complete details, please view the attached job posting, also pasted beneath my signature.

Cheers,

Amy Greschaw
Head of Adult Services
Belleville Area District Library
167 4th St.
Belleville, MI 48111

(734) 699-3291

Outreach and Community Relations Librarian, Full-Time

Starting Salary: $46,800 annually

Hours: Full-time, 40 hrs /week

Deadline: August 11, 2023

The Belleville Area District Library seeks a motivated, dynamic, highly-collaborative individual to join our Adult Services team. We are expanding our outreach services to adults and organizations in our community. Desired applicants will be people-centric and excited about making connections both inside and outside of the library. Other duties include collections, social media, marketing, and programming responsibilities. While experience in these areas is a plus, we are open to interviewing librarians new to the field who could see themselves excelling in this role.

The BADL is a Class V Library, serving a diverse population of 42,000 in Belleville, Van Buren Township, and Sumpter Township. Our team endeavors to provide the public with superior customer service.

Responsibilities:

· Develops and oversees the regular operation of outreach services to adults in our service area.

· Networks with groups within the community.

· Provides reference, readers’ advisory, and computer assistance to library patrons.

· Responsible for collection development of assigned areas, including selection, weeding, and promotion of those materials.

· Collaborates with department staff to plan and implement programming.

· Contributes and coordinates content for library webpage and social media to inform users about library programs, collections, and services.

· Collaborates with other library staff on interdepartmental projects and programs.

· In charge of the library and staff in the absence of the director, assistant director, and department heads.

· Supervises the pages who shelve department materials.

· Stays abreast of library trends and maintains skills through involvement in committees at The Library Network consortium, at professional development conferences, workshops, or events.

Qualifications:

· Master of Library Science or equivalent from an American Library Association accredited program.

· Possesses or is eligible for a level 2 certificate or higher from the Library of Michigan.

· Must demonstrate effective communication skills and an ability and willingness to work collaboratively.

· Confident public speaking skills.

· Must have a strong public service orientation.

· Enthusiastic, friendly, self-motivated and creative.

· Strong obligation to confidentiality.

· Tactfulness and adaptability in dealing with colleagues, the Board, and the public.

· Strong computer and technology skills.

· Knowledge of digital services available to library users.

· Comfortable instructing others in both group and one-on-one settings.

Essential Functions:

· Work hours are varied and require some evenings and weekends.

· Ability to travel between work locations and related places of business as needed.

· Visual acuity and physical skills necessary to retrieve library materials from shelves, maintain library materials and operate equipment.

· Hearing ability to answer telephone and customer inquiries.

· Ability to remain in a stationary position at the public service desks.

· Frequent operation of a computer and other office machinery such as a copy machine, printer, and fax machine.

· The person in this position needs to occasionally move about inside the library to access file cabinets, office machinery, etc.

· Lift objects weighing up to 20 pounds.

The above is intended to describe the major responsibilities and requirements for this position. It is not to be construed as an exhaustive statement of all duties, responsibilities or requirements. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. This is an at-will position. The Belleville Area District Library is an equal opportunity employer. All decisions affecting employment shall be made without regard to an individual’s race, color, religion, marital status, familial status, family responsibilities, protected veteran status, age, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, height, weight, national origin, disability status, or other classification protected under federal, state or local law.

To Apply: Application can be found at [ http://www.belleville.lib.mi.us/about-us/employment/ | www.belleville.lib.mi.us/about-us/employment/ ]

Please submit cover letter, resume, and Belleville Area District Library employment application to Amy Greschaw, Head of Adult Services, at agreschaw at belleville.lib.mi.us.