[Michlib-l] Chicago Public Library: Museum Pass Program Goes Digital With Statewide, Cooperative Administered Project

Jim Flury jflury at tln.org
Thu Jul 27 09:12:06 EDT 2023

Good Morning,

Not Michigan but sharing account there are 16 years of MAP (yes, MAP went live in Fall, 2007) parallels in the below linked WBEZ, NPR podcast.

MAP related, have you registered for MLA yet? Be sure to attend the Thursday, October 19, 11:15 a.m. to 12:15 p.m. breakout session Dots on the MAP: An EDI Model.

Concerning the podcast, you can skip the lead ad by scrolling to the start of the story.

[ https://www.wbez.org/stories/chicago-public-library-museum-passes-program-to-digital/85bb7ca7-b89d-4fb8-99a4-2cf5037361a9 | https://www.wbez.org/stories/chicago-public-library-museum-passes-program-to-digital/85bb7ca7-b89d-4fb8-99a4-2cf5037361a9 ]

[ https://exploremore.quipugroup.net/?Chicago&_gl=1%2A1jgn10r%2A_ga%2AMTU1NTM1MTExNi4xNjkwNDU5NTg3%2A_ga_G99DMMNG39%2AMTY5MDQ1OTU4OC4xLjAuMTY5MDQ1OTU4OC4wLjAuMA. | https://exploremore.quipugroup.net/?Chicago&_gl=1%2A1jgn10r%2A_ga%2AMTU1NTM1MTExNi4xNjkwNDU5NTg3%2A_ga_G99DMMNG39%2AMTY5MDQ1OTU4OC4xLjAuMTY5MDQ1OTU4OC4wLjAuMA. ] .

[ https://exploremoreillinois.org/ | https://exploremoreillinois.org/ ]

If you've ever used a CPL museum pass (we have; until very recently we had family who lived in the city) you know how wildly popular they are. The story notes that people would drive all over the city, going from branch to branch, to get one. I can attest that that is true. Now CPL is a participant in a statewide museum pass program called Explore More Illinois, which just happens to be administered by, wait for it, a library cooperative (RAILS). Yeah, one of those organizations😆

Finally, a shoutout here for current TLN Executive Director Steve, who had the vision to lead MAP away from its getting very long in the tooth previous software to the modern product [ https://miactivitypass.org/ | https://miactivitypass.org/ ] patrons enjoy now, and also to previous TLN Executive Director Jim, who had the vision to expand MAP from metro Detroit to statewide, and also for not killing off the program altogether when we proposed converting it from the previously very generously corporate funded, paper based program to a brand new, considerably less well funded, online format. This conversion took place during what were very lean times, meaning that a program like MAP would have been an obvious and easy target to defund completely. Jim spent the majority of his career at CPL, before coming to TLN. I think he would find it very satisfying to see the CPL museum pass program incorporated into that of an IL library cooperative.

Jim

Jim Flury
Technical Services Manager
The Library Network