[Michlib-l] Ganong Cemetery Historic Preservation

Jean Fellows progcoord at gladl.org
Mon Jun 5 15:07:14 EDT 2023

Thanks for including great photos-- We have Dr. Henthorn and crew booked
for August 19th-- excited!

On Mon, Jun 5, 2023 at 9:22 AM Aubrey Franklin via Michlib-l <
michlib-l at mcls.org> wrote:

> This past Saturday, the Westland Public Library welcomed Dr. Thomas
> Henthorn and students from the University of Michigan-Flint Department of
> History for a historic preservation program at the Butler-Ganong Cemetery
> in Westland, a small but interesting site comprising of about 350
> interments and dates back to 1832. Dr. Henthorn and his students taught us
> about the proper care, cleaning, and repair of historic grave
> monuments. During the 3.5 hour program, we were able to clean several
> headstones on the site, as well as use an aluminum crane to lift and reset
> a headstone into its upright position. This program was made possible by
> the Wyatt Endowment at the University of Michigan-Flint.  We worked with
> the Westland Historic Commission to host the program and provide further
> context into the site’s history. Participants gained the resources and
> skills to clean historic monuments on their own. If your community is
> interested in this project, please reach out to Dr. Thomas Henthorn at
> henthorn at umich.edu.
>

> Aubrey Franklin (she/her/hers)
> Adult Services Librarian
>
> William P. Faust Public Library of Westland
> 734-326-6123 | www.westlandlibrary.org

Jean Fellows
(she/hers)
Programming Coordinator
Grand Ledge Area District Library
131 E. Jefferson St.,
Grand Ledge, MI 48837
517-627-7014

*The Grand Ledge Area District Library is situated on ancestral,
traditional and contemporary lands of the Anishinaabeg – Three Fires
Confederacy of Ojibwe, Odawa and Potawatomi peoples-- land ceded in the
1819 Treaty of Saginaw. For more information, see the article from Central
Michigan University
Library:https://blogs.cmich.edu/library/2019/11/26/the-1819-treaty-of-saginaw/#:~:text=In%20the%201819%20treaty%2C%20the,living%20on%20the%20ceded%20territory.