[Michlib-l] Please Share: Michigan Notable Books Author Phyllis Michael Wong, author of We Kept Our Towns Going: The Gossard Girls of Michigan’s Upper Peninsula, will present at the Dexter District Library, Sunday, June 25, 2:00 p.m.

Lisa Ryan lryan at dexter.lib.mi.us
Fri Jun 23 12:06:50 EDT 2023

Good Afternoon Everyone - Please spread the word: Phyllis Michael Wong, author of We Kept Our Towns Going: The Gossard Girls of Michigan’s Upper Peninsula will present at the Dexter District Library, Sunday, June 25, 2:00 p.m. as part of the Michigan Notable Books Author Tour.

As Michigan’s Upper Peninsula mines & forests became depleted, the Gossard undergarment factories helped to sustain the local economy. The women who sewed the corsets and bras became known as the Gossard Girls. From the early 1900’s until the 1970’s, the Gossard Girls helped to support their families and keep the town going during war, depression, and labor strikes. From cutting cloth and distributing materials to getting paid and having fun, Phyllis M. Wong gives us a rare view of factory life from the women on the sewing room floor.

Registration is optional. All are welcome to attend (see attached flier).

Lisa Ryan
Head of Adult Services
Dexter District Library
734-426-4477 (ext 119)