[Michlib-l] Patron photo release for minors

Laura Puckett lpuckett at vbdl.org
Wed Mar 1 13:32:45 EST 2023

Hello,

We have had a few questions about photos on our social media, especially in
regards to pictures of children. Ideally, we would have everyone's
permission to post their pictures on social media but when we have large
programs that often becomes unrealistic. We have release forms, but when we
have large programs, keeping track of everyone can be a doozy.

We were curious what other libraries do for photo permissions, specifically
for children in the library.

For clarification, if it's a small group or an individual, we ask them
directly. We also have signage saying that their photos may end up on
social media unless they tell us otherwise. We will remove a photo upon the
patron's request, but we want to get to a point where they don't have to
worry about that.

Thank you so much for your help!

--
Laura Puckett
PR and Technology Instruction Associate Librarian