[Michlib-l] Happy news! MLA is the recipient of the 2023 Gerald Hodges Intellectual Freedom Chapter Relations Award!

Jean Fellows progcoord at gladl.org
Fri May 5 15:55:52 EDT 2023

🎉🎉🎉!

On Fri, May 5, 2023 at 3:22 PM Ellen Peters via Michlib-l <
michlib-l at mcls.org> wrote:

> Congratulations and well done, MLA!!! This is a well-deserved award.
>
> <http://loutitlibrary.org/>
>
> Ellen Peters
>
> Executive Director
>
> she/her (what’s this? <https://www.mypronouns.org/>)
>
> 616.850.6912 | loutitlibrary.org
>
> 407 Columbus Ave. Grand Haven, MI 49417
>
> Expanding Horizons. Enriching Minds. Engaging Community.
> <https://www.facebook.com/LoutitDistrictLibrary/>
> <https://www.instagram.com/loutitlibrary/>
> <https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCJGvakceRtYoYlJabcxzAcw>
>

> On Fri, May 5, 2023 at 3:03 PM Rachel Ash via Michlib-l <
> michlib-l at mcls.org> wrote:
>
>> *Passing along some exciting and happy news from MLA!*
>>

>> We are so proud to share that MLA has won the 2023 Gerald Hodges
>> Intellectual Freedom Chapter Relations Award! Shout out and thank you to
>> the MLA Intellectual Freedom Taskforce
>> <https://www.milibraries.org/committees-work-groups> for all the work
>> they put in to make this possible and thank you to all our engaged members
>> and advocates who are standing up for the right to read!
>>

>> The ALA Intellectual Freedom Roundtable’s Coalition Building Committee
>> selected the Michigan Library Association (MLA), as this year’s recipient
>> of the Gerald Hodges Intellectual Freedom Chapter Relations Award. This
>> $1,000 award recognizes work on intellectual freedom, patron
>> confidentiality, and anti-censorship efforts.
>>

>> The selection committee commends the association’s impressive work on the
>> MI Right to Read coalition, Intellectual Freedom Toolkit, intellectual
>> freedom messaging center, advocacy resource fund, and education programs.
>> It’s clear that the MLA is a strong defender of the right to read, and the
>> resources it makes available benefit Michigan libraries and can serve as a
>> model for other state associations. We are fortunate to have such
>> organizations leading the fight against censorship.
>>

>> Read the news release from ALA here:
>>

>> https://www.ala.org/news/press-releases/2023/05/intellectual-freedom-round-table-announces-michigan-library-association
>>

>> [image: cidimage002.png at 01D73C4D.ABEAD040]
>>
>> *Rachel Ash*
>> Membership and Communications Director
>> Michigan Library Association
>> 3410 Belle Chase Way, Suite 100
>> Lansing, MI 48911
>> Phone: (517) 394-2774 ext. 2
>> *Direct:  (517) 881-6652 *
>>
>> * milibraries.org rfash at milibraries.org
>> <%0bmilibraries.org%0brfash at milibraries.org>*
>>
>> *Follow MLA on **Facebook*
>> <https://www.facebook.com/MichiganLibraryAssociation> *and **Twitter*
>> <https://twitter.com/mlaoffice>*!*

Jean Fellows
(she/hers)
Programming Coordinator
Grand Ledge Area District Library
131 E. Jefferson St.,
Grand Ledge, MI 48837
517-627-7014

*The Grand Ledge Area District Library is situated on ancestral,
traditional and contemporary lands of the Anishinaabeg – Three Fires
Confederacy of Ojibwe, Odawa and Potawatomi peoples-- land ceded in the
1819 Treaty of Saginaw. For more information, see the article from Central
Michigan University
Library:https://blogs.cmich.edu/library/2019/11/26/the-1819-treaty-of-saginaw/#:~:text=In%20the%201819%20treaty%2C%20the,living%20on%20the%20ceded%20territory.