[Michlib-l] FREE ALA Webinar MAY 17th "Be Prepared! What to do when a comics challenge comes" Part 3

Daniel Patton dpatton at detroitpubliclibrary.org
Tue May 16 13:28:18 EDT 2023

Still time to register! Join the ALA Graphic Novel and Comics Round Table Wed May 17th at 4:00pm CT as we conclude our three-part #LibcomixOnline webinar series:

"Be Prepared! What to do when a comics challenge comes"

  *   BEFORE a comics challenge: Jan 18. 2023 at 5:00pm EST (recording LINK<https://ala-events.zoom.us/rec/play/sRTTSvIm72UHF8e0ar7spgz6smaEfzaryuIJiZX5DRVijQnqqqa5fBl1NlU5ke1Pa0WrbtO_Ab40eQxa.0XdzXl3loPkE4ibW?continueMode=true&_x_zm_rtaid=3b8hzV4dTsCxzUPgCLz5FQ.1677907212012.dea6027e6972d68310bf780d01ea65a3&_x_zm_rhtaid=304> & Resources<https://docs.google.com/document/d/1phFBSert9deSDVZzJGb5TPde_mDxE3ZbsgpoJL93YQE/edit>)
  *   DURING a comics challenge: Mar 15.2023 at 5:00pm EST (recording LINK<https://youtu.be/UM6xol1lHFc> & Resources<https://docs.google.com/document/d/1BNeaqh1iYPld4GfM9oad55rXCThzzwrv5RVIPdkIE8o/edit>)
  *   AFTER a comics challenge: May 17.2023 at 5:00pm EST Register NOW<https://ala-events.zoom.us/webinar/register/WN_gzHAdHFlQBWrG-VQHIK6qQ#/registration>

Comics and graphic novel are amongst the most popular, most lauded, and most loved items on our shelves - and amongst the most banned and challenged materials of the past few years. Hear from library workers, educators, advocates, and comic creators on the front lines of graphic novel challenges about what you can do to be prepared!

After fighting a challenge, whatever the outcome, there are steps it's helpful to take. Our panelists will talk about the impact of comics challenges they've faced, lessons learned and how that learning affects how they move forward. Remember, you are not alone. Our panel on May 17th at 5:00pm EST will help you to Be Prepared, Fight Comics Censorship, and Live to Library Another Day!

REGISTER: https://bit.ly/PreparingForChallenges3

Speakers:
- Trung Le Nguyen Cartoonist, Artist, Writer; Creator, The Magic Fish
- Tia Moore Reference Librarian Assistant, Bartholomew County Public Library
- Gabriel Lopez (co-moderator) Research & Instruction Librarian and Member GNCRT Addressing Comic Book Challenges Committee
- Amie Wright (co-moderator) Chair, GNCRT Addressing Comic Book Challenges Committee

Daniel Patton (he/him)
Librarian II
Popular Library/Music, Arts and Literature
Detroit Public Library
5201 Woodward Avenue
Detroit, Michigan 48202
dpatton at detroitpubliclibrary.org<mailto:dpatton at detroitpubliclibrary.org>