[Michlib-l] Youth & Teen Services Updates

Lancaster, Cathy (MDE) LancasterC5 at michigan.gov
Fri May 19 15:26:48 EDT 2023

Summer Reading Champion...
Look for the big announcement from CSLP on Monday, or tune-in to NBC Today Show around 8am ET and 10am ET to hear for yourself! The reading list titles I shared a couple of weeks ago are a part of this reveal - the new booklist to print and display at your library will be out Monday, too!

YALSA
Nominate<http://ala.informz.net/z/cjUucD9taT0xMTA3OTcyNyZwPTEmdT0xMDA3NDQ5NTMxJmxpPTEwMjEwODA1Mg/index.html> Your Great Graphic Novels for Teens!
We are currently reading and discussing fiction and nonfiction comics, manhwa, and manga published for teens between September 1, 2022, and December 31, 2023. We are also considering comics published for children and adults with high crossover appeal. Have teens in your life who love comics? They can nominate titles, too! Please see our nomination form<http://ala.informz.net/z/cjUucD9taT0xMTA3OTcyNyZwPTEmdT0xMDA3NDQ5NTMxJmxpPTEwMjEwODA1Mg/index.html> for more details. Check out The Hub<http://ala.informz.net/z/cjUucD9taT0xMTA3OTcyNyZwPTEmdT0xMDA3NDQ5NTMxJmxpPTEwMjEwODA1Mw/index.html> to read about some of the titles we're already considering this year.
Resources
MDHHS Stay Well team has released a free, comprehensive resource on our website called Mental Wellness Tools for Organizations<https://www.michigan.gov/coronavirus/resources/mental-health-resources/wellness-toolkit>. This toolkit is designed to be adaptable; used either in its entirety or select the areas that would be beneficial to you and your organization. The ultimate goal is to encourage individuals to prioritize wellbeing, and at the end of day, remember to 'Be Kind to Your Mind.'

PCI Presents: Time Travel Club: Bring Children's History Programming to your Library<https://libraryofmichigan.app.neoncrm.com/np/clients/libraryofmichigan/event.jsp?event=3030>
Wednesday, May 24
2:00 pm ET
Register<https://libraryofmichigan.app.neoncrm.com/np/clients/libraryofmichigan/event.jsp?event=3030>
Join children's librarian Elizabeth Stinnette for a discussion of history programming for kids. Discover how to make history fun with engaging, hands-on activities that both you and they will enjoy. We'll also discuss strategies for community partnerships, integrating diverse cultures, and adapting for various sizes of staff and budget. Additionally, check out the handout for more resources, including a program plan, book lists, and activity ideas.

TLN Presents: Crisis Management: Creating a safe and supportive environment for the individual and the work
Wednesday, May 31, 2023
11:00 AM ET
Register<https://tln.org/events/EventDetails.aspx?id=1743203>
While the global pandemic allowed personal and professional crises to be a more predominant factor of daily life, crises are ever present and must be regularly acknowledged to maintain the wellbeing of individuals and the work. As responsibilities, environments, and priorities change, so too do the capacities of an individual to understand and contribute to managing personal and professional crises. This presentation will focus on recognizing the power of vulnerability, the strength of personal and professional networks, and the possibility to positivity contribute to creating a safe and supportive environment for the individual, their colleagues, and their institutions, regardless of their position.

Little Hands Signing Professional Development: Summer Signs (1 hour webinar)
Wednesday, May 31, 2023 at 2 PM Eastern/1 PM Central/12 PM Mountain/11 AM Pacific Online session via Zoom (1 hour webinar). Includes recording access for 30 days.
Learn basic American Sign Language for summer storytimes in this interactive online session!
Individual: $40. Get 20% off individual registration when you enter promo code SUMMER at the top of the ticket form! Group rates available.
Register at https://www.eventbrite.com/e/little-hands-signing-professional-development-summer-signs-registration-482665273827

Hands Up: Live ASL Practice for Library Staff (Beginner)
Wednesdays, June 7-July 19, 2023 (no class July 5)
3 PM-4 PM Eastern/2 PM-3 PM Central/1 PM-2 PM Mountain/12 PM-1 PM Pacific
Online sessions via Zoom (6 weeks, 1 hour per week). Includes recording access for all sessions through August 20, 2023.
Learn and practice American Sign Language for library settings in this interactive series.
Individual: $240. Get 20% off individual registration when you enter promo code READANDSIGN at the top of the ticket form. Group rates available.
Register at https://www.eventbrite.com/e/hands-up-live-asl-practice-for-library-staff-beginner-registration-602781193777
In the News...
Child depression, anxiety on rise: How local approaches tackle mental health needs<https://www.mlive.com/news/kalamazoo/2023/05/child-depression-anxiety-on-rise-how-local-approaches-tackle-mental-health-needs.html?e=1d427e4fd648fcebf03d2e8b7ac492d9&utm_source=Sailthru&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=Newsletter_backtoschool%202023-05-16&utm_term=Newsletter_backtoschool> - Mlive, 5/14/23.
'Outright war': 'Gender Queer' and the attack on Michigan libraries<https://www.mlive.com/politics/2023/05/outright-war-gender-queer-and-the-attack-on-michigan-libraries.html> - Mlive, 5/18/23
It's okay for libraries to be loud! Take it from me, a librarian<https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/it-s-okay-for-libraries-to-be-loud-take-it-from-me-a-librarian/ar-AA1b5u7p>. - The Washington Post, 5/12/23

Have a great weekend,
Cathy Lancaster
Youth Services Coordinator
Library of Michigan