[Michlib-l] Join our Lectrue/Discussion series

Thomas Trahey ttrahey at mcdlibrary.org
Mon May 22 13:27:40 EDT 2023

Good Monday Afternoon,

In my experience, planning a lecture series is a lot of work with great
reward. We are offering an opportunity to join in the reward without much
work. *We* are Robin Seymour and Thomas Trahey of the Mason County District
Library (MCDL) and Brooke Portman of the Abondia Center.

The opportunity is the Cairns & Beacons (C&B) lecture and discussion
series. The series will consist of eight presentations each followed, a
week later, by a discussion. The topics are on some of the pressing issues
of the day, although not necessarily the ones that grab all the headlines.
I’m attaching a document with a more thorough description (the dates may
not be accurate). The discussions will kick off with a carefully selected,
pertinent work of art that will be a common starting point for the
discussion.

We are asking you to try this for several reasons. We would like C&B to
have a wide and diverse audience. We would like the discussions to involve
varied communities with different points of view. We would like to start
building a network of libraries willing to work together on providing
quality programming. Perhaps in the future, MCDL will be able to join your
program in the same way, or perhaps some of us will plan the next series
together.

              We would like to invite your library to be a part of this
program, to brand it as your own and offer it to your patrons for as long
as you find it worthwhile. If you haven’t done anything like this before,
this is an excellent opportunity to be involved and experience what it’s
like to run a lecture series without the responsibility or workload of
creating and running it.

              In addition to planning the series, procuring the presenters
and writing grants to fund the series, we can offer other assistance to
libraries interested in participating. We will be able to help with
technology, promotion, related materials, and funding.

              We are asking for as much of the following as you are willing
to give, for as long as you are willing to give it: C&B flyers on display
in your library, a small display space in your library for C&B related
material (promotional and reading material), some help advertising to your
community, and to set up and run a Zoom meeting for each presentation and
discussion. Note that you can choose your level of participation and that
you don’t have to commit to the full series.

              If you are at all interested, we are hosting an informational
Q&A this Wednesday, May 24th, at 9:30am. Here’s the link: bit.ly/MCDLCairns.
If you can’t make that or would like to contact me directly, feel free.
Here’s my contact info:

Thomas Trahey

Head of Circulation at MCDL

231-843-8465