[Michlib-l] Cairns & Beacons presents Michael Tomasky tonight at 7pm

Thomas Trahey ttrahey at mcdlibrary.org
Thu Nov 2 16:31:11 EDT 2023

 Tonight at 7pm, via Zoom, <http://bit.ly/CairnsAndBeacons> we will host
Michael Tomasky, the author of *The Middle Out
<https://www.penguinrandomhouse.com/books/671443/the-middle-out-by-michael-tomasky/>*,
top editor of *The New Republic*
<https://newrepublic.com/authors/michael-tomasky>, and editor of *Democracy:
a Journal of Ideas* <https://democracyjournal.org/>.

Tonight, Michael will cover topics from his book *The Middle Out*, a brief
economic history, and what our national economic system looks like today.
Tonight is Michael's presentation, next Thursday is the online discussion
of Michael's ideas.

   Praise for his book includes:

“Tomasky has written an engrossing history of ideas. It’s an incisive look
> at neoliberalism’s trajectory and the rise of a new intellectual model for
> truly shared prosperity. *The Middle Out* is critical to understanding
> our current political economy.”
> *–Heather McGhee, New York Times bestselling author of The Sum of Us: What
> Racism Costs Everyone and How We Can Prosper Together*
>

>   It would not be enough to say that the articulate Michael Tomasky
> targets almost all the economic challenges of our time in his extraordinary
> new book, *The Middle Out*. He writes highly accessibly, makes economics
> a fascinating story, and has a powerful understanding of how economies
> work.  The American economy has not been run on the basis of well-founded
> ideas in the last forty years, he makes clear, but on the basis of narrow
> and self-centered interests. He provides pathways to return to an age of
> the kinds of values that once made it possible for a compassionately and
> intelligently run economy to fulfill the lives of all Americans.”
> *–Jeff Madrick, author of Invisible Americans: The Tragic Cost of Child
> Poverty*

and

All are welcome, join us at bit.ly/CairnsAndBeacons

--