[Michlib-l] WebJunction content and upcoming webinars

Lancaster, Cathy (MDE) LancasterC5 at michigan.gov
Wed Nov 8 13:13:41 EST 2023

WebJunction content and upcoming webinars - November 8, 2023

Highlighted Content

Resources for Supporting Veterans and Military-Affiliated Patrons<https://www.webjunction.org/news/webjunction/veterans-resources-for-libraries.html>: Libraries play a vital role in serving the diverse needs of their communities, and one group that often benefits greatly is our nation's Veterans, current military members, and their families. Chances are you’re already doing great work in welcoming this population, offering needed information and services, and helping them stay connected to their communities. This collection of resources can help libraries enhance their support for our military-affiliated community members, ensuring that they receive the assistance and recognition they deserve. Explore topics including mental health resources, community engagement, employment and education information, and community reintegration after military service. Explore a selection of booklists and podcasts that offer display ideas and firsthand stories from those who have served.
Time to Change the "Checklist": A Toolkit for Reimagining School Readiness<https://www.webjunction.org/news/webjunction/school-readiness-toolkit.html>: A literature review of over 150 research studies indicates that we are missing the mark in preparing our children for school by equating “school readiness” with a finite checklist of academic skills to be mastered by age five. Instead, we should think about school readiness as a robust developmental process that spans the early childhood years through age eight. Libraries are perfect places for children to develop early learning skills and practices to prepare them for school. You may already be offering opportunities at your library in programs such as storytimes, play groups, and STEM/STEAM workshops. Or maybe you want some planning and assessment tools to help you learn and communicate the impact of this programming for the families in your community. The free, online Reimagining School Readiness Toolkit, includes an easy-to-use structure for incorporating these important skills and practices into the programs in your library.

Advancing IDEAs: Inclusion, Diversity, Equity, Accessibility, 7 November 2023<https://hangingtogether.org/advancing-ideas-inclusion-diversity-equity-accessibility-7-november-2023/>: This is the latest Hanging Together blog post, part of a regular series<https://hangingtogether.org/tag/IDEA/> on issues of Inclusion, Diversity, Equity, and Accessibility, compiled by a team of OCLC contributors.

WebJunction Webinars

These upcoming webinars are open for registration. If you can’t attend a live session, all WebJunction webinars are recorded and available for free in the Course Catalog<https://learn.webjunction.org/>.

Let’s Talk Race: Community Healing through Conversation
Tuesday, November 14, 2023 ◆ 2:00 pm Eastern / 11:00 am Pacific ◆ 60 minutes
Registration: https://www.webjunction.org/events/webjunction/lets-talk-race.html

Library communities around the country are seeing rising levels of division, distrust, and segregation. Recognizing the need for community healing, library staff at the Richland Library in South Carolina formed the Let’s Talk Race team to explore strategies for deepening community connections and engagement. Since 2016, the Let’s Talk Race team has facilitated more than 250 in-person or online discussions, community forums, and events, reaching more than 4,000 participants, and creating opportunities for civic engagement, community connections, and courageous conversations. Earlier this year, the Richland Library launched the open-source Let’s Talk Race Curriculum<https://www.richlandlibrary.com/lets-talk-race-curriculum>, providing a set of easy-to-follow resources for other libraries, museums, and related organizations to implement with their local communities. The curriculum includes facilitation best practices, conversation guides, videos, and more. The curriculum provides a learning pathway to help get started, build facilitation skills, and create conversation guides to hold your own circles of dialog.
Living Our Values Out Loud: Programs that Walk the Talk
Tuesday, November 28, 2023 ◆ 2:00 pm Eastern / 11:00 am Pacific ◆ 60 minutes
Registration: https://www.webjunction.org/events/webjunction/living-our-values-out-loud.html

>From zero-waste events to upcycling to refreshments, how we choose to carry out our work in libraries says a lot about our values. We can’t just pay lip service to sustainability-we need to practice what we’re talking about! This webinar will be an inspiring discussion with a panel of practitioners who have found ways to design, implement, and evaluate library programs using frameworks that better represent their libraries' values, such as the triple bottom line definition of sustainability and the United Nations’ Sustainable Development Goals.
Tools for Reimagining School Readiness
Tuesday, December 5, 2023 ◆ 3:00 pm Eastern / 12:00 pm Pacific ◆ 90 minutes
Registration: https://www.webjunction.org/events/webjunction/tools-for-reimagining-school-readiness.html

Libraries play a vital role in preparing young children for school by providing interactive and playful programs in which children can develop social, emotional, math, science, and executive function skills and practices. Research has shown these skills to be important for later academic and lifelong success. The Reimagining School Readiness Toolkit<https://bayareadiscoverymuseum.org/resources/educator-resources/library-toolkit> provides free, online, research-based resources, created specifically for library staff. These resources make it easy for you to enhance what you are already doing, with eye-catching tips, planning tools, program surveys, activity ideas, family conversation starters, social media posts, and more.
Stronger Together: Collective Impact and Climate Action Programming
Wednesday, December 13, 2023 ◆ 2:00 pm Eastern / 11:00 am Pacific ◆ 90 minutes
Registration: https://www.webjunction.org/events/webjunction/collective-impact-climate-action.html

Libraries are catalysts and conveners for climate action in our communities. This webinar will feature practitioners who are having a collective impact through collaborations with others in the community, to address the pressing challenges related to climate change. Join these practitioners to hear practical ideas for how to ensure that good intentions have a positive impact on our communities.

This program is supported in part by the Institute of Museum and Library Services.

Thank you,
Cathy Lancaster
Youth Services Coordinator
Library of Michigan