[Michlib-l] Notary Services

Jean Fellows progcoord at gladl.org
Fri Nov 10 12:43:57 EST 2023

Thanks all- great info. We have been considering this too!

On Fri, Nov 10, 2023 at 11:31 AM Library Director via Michlib-l <
michlib-l at mcls.org> wrote:

> Hello Cierra,
>
> I received funding from the The State Court Administrative Office (SCAO)
> through the Legal Self-Help Centers Grant Program.  We have a Self-Help
> kiosk at our library, and expanded our services for the Self-Help Center.
> Part of the grant funding we received covered expanding our notary
> services.  The grant was able to pay for the bond needed for having a staff
> member become a notary as well as mileage for her going to the courts, and
> notary supplies.  Since we were expanding our services through the grant
> and Michigan Legal Help emphasizes providing service to little to no cost
> for patrons, we do not charge for notary services.  Patrons wishing for
> notary services must have their IDs ready for the notary to confirm the
> identification of the signer.
>
> So far it has worked out for us.  Also, SCAO has the same grant available
> for next year.  While the applications must be turned in by November 12th,
> it might be worth putting in an application if you already have a center
> and wish to add on a notary.
>
> Good luck,
>

> On 11/10/2023 10:26 AM EST AW Cierra Bakovka via Michlib-l <
> michlib-l at mcls.org> wrote:
>

> Hi all,
>
> We're thinking about getting in on the notary game. How did you all go
> about it? Any limitations? What policies or procedures did you have to put
> in place? Anything you wish you would have thought of? Thanks!
>

> *Cierra Bakovka, MLIS
>   *
> She/Her
> *Director*
> Henika District Library
>
> 149 South Main St.
> Wayland, MI 49348
> 269-792-2891 ext. 309
> waycb at llcoop.org

> Sarah Rick
> Library Director
>
> Millington Arbela District Library
> 8530 Depot Street
> Millington, MI  48746
> 989.871.2003
> Fax 989.871.5594

Jean Fellows
(she/hers)
Programming Coordinator
Grand Ledge Area District Library
131 E. Jefferson St.,
Grand Ledge, MI 48837
517-627-7014

*The Grand Ledge Area District Library is situated on ancestral,
traditional and contemporary lands of the Anishinaabeg – Three Fires
Confederacy of Ojibwe, Odawa and Potawatomi peoples-- land ceded in the
1819 Treaty of Saginaw. For more information, see the article from Central
Michigan University
Library:https://blogs.cmich.edu/library/2019/11/26/the-1819-treaty-of-saginaw/#:~:text=In%20the%201819%20treaty%2C%20the,living%20on%20the%20ceded%20territory.