[Michlib-l] meetings

Membiela, Clare (MDE) MembielaC at michigan.gov
Tue Nov 14 16:52:53 EST 2023

Hello Stephanie:

Section 3 of the Open Meetings Act, MCL 15.263 http://legislature.mi.gov/doc.aspx?mcl-15-263 indicates that members of the public may record, or broadcast a public meeting. However, the public body may implement reasonable regulations/policies to prevent such recording from disrupting the meeting. (forbidding the blocking of exits, entrances and aisles, for example).

Such recording may be done without approval or prior notification of the public body.

The Attorney General's Open Meetings Act Handbook is a good resources for OMA information:
https://www.michigan.gov/ag/-/media/Project/Websites/AG/open-meetings/OMA-Handbook-October-2022.pdf?rev=1a0f1edea36c491b8e4728ba2f3e1bf3&hash=0E23BA7A7A990B5998CEF986EF1CB5DB

If your board is having a specific issue, you may wish to consult your attorney.

Please don't hesitate to reach out iof I can offer any additional information.
Sincerely,
Clare

Clare D. Membiela, MLS, J.D.
Library Law Consultant
Library of Michigan
MembielaC at michigan.gov<mailto:MembielaC at michigan.gov>
517-335-8132

The research and resources above are for informational purposes only and not for the purpose of providing legal advice. You should contact your attorney to obtain advice with respect to any particular issue or problem.
"If there is any fixed star in our constitutional constellation,it is that no official, high or petty, can prescribe what shall be orthodox in politics, nationalism, religion, or other matters of opinion...." West Va. Bd. Of Ed. V. Barnette, 319 U.S., at 642.

The Michigan School Meals program allows for all public school students, grades Pre-K to 12, to eat breakfast and lunch for free. Learn more<https://www.michigan.gov/mde/services/food/michigan-school-meals>.