[Michlib-l] Responses: Do you have a current event book display?

Rosemary Isbell rosemary.isbell at baldwinlib.org
Tue Nov 21 11:26:56 EST 2023

Hello,

I received 2 responses from Libraries regarding my current event book
display email when I asked the questions:

   - What is your display called?
   - Who is responsible for filling the display (one person or a team)?
   - Do you include follow up information on how the books relate to
   current events?
   - How has the display been perceived by patrons?

*Response 1: *
*Does anyone have a display that features books that relate to current
events in their library?* Yes-- depending on the local or widespread
interest of the current event. We haven't generally featured displays on
what might be termed "Breaking News", except for BLM, vaccine awareness,
vetting "fake news" etc.
Other events include: Major national and some international holidays and
Indigenous Peoples, American Indian Heritage, Black History, Women's
History, Juneteenth, etc.
Other: Voting Registration Day, Election Day, Banned Books, Pride Month,
Constitution Week, Earth Week, etc.
Displays hosted in the Main entrance area and children's dept for
children's books on the featured theme.

* If so, I have a few questions:*

   - *What is your display called? *We title each display appropriately to
   the theme.
   - *Who is responsible for filling the display (one person or a
team)? *Programming
   Team: Marketing, with Adult and Youth services pulling related books.
   - *Do you include follow up information on how the books relate to
   current events? *Not usually the books, no. We include
   supplementary material on the display topic when available. Sometimes
   brochures, flyers, bookmarks,  voting guides from League of Women Voters,
   national Voter Registration & State voting materials,
   - *How has the display been perceived by patrons? *Patrons generally
   respond favorably, and the books displayed circulate.

Notably: We've had one "patron" (loose definition: never reads, checks out
materials or attends programming; uses our internet and drops his wife's
daycare kids unattended on our preschool storytime or juvenile dept)
complain that we can't feature just certain cultural/ethnic groups ( Native
American, Black History Month, BLM), we have to represent them *all*,
(especially (his) Italian Americans). We did different features for a year,
he never came back to thank or complain.

*Response 2:*
We don't have anything designated a Current Events display. However, we do
have several display spaces and sometimes we fill one of them with books
related to some current event. We did this when Russia invaded Ukraine.

Thanks!
Rosemary
--
*Rosemary Isbell*