[Michlib-l] Cookbook Clubs

Sarah Scherdt scherdt.s at gmail.com
Fri Oct 6 11:07:56 EDT 2023

I organized and ran a cookbook club back in 2017 (maybe).

I usually picked a theme for the month and would find 1 to 3 cookbooks that
related to the theme.

I did place holds on multiple copies in the system and had books available
for folks to checkout & take home, but always kept at least one copy of
each book at the reference desk for photo copying in case everything was
checked out.

The patrons loved it.  We'd get together for our potluck meeting, discuss
recipes, challenges, ingredients, their overall impression of the book,
etc.  The conversation was always lively and moved along in a very casual
and organic way.  I did always go to group with a few questions or talking
points if we hit a lull.

Some of the themes we covered were fad diets, American standard cookbooks
(Betty Crocker, Joy of Cooking and the like), newly published, we covered a
few specific cuisines, but one of my favorites was celebrity cookbook
showdown.

I choose 2 popular celebrity cookbooks at the time and as a group we
evaluated and rated the recipes/books.