[Michlib-l] Small Claims

Valerie Meyerson vmeyerson at petoskeylibrary.org
Mon Oct 9 14:53:55 EDT 2023

Hello all -

Wondering if anyone out there has filed a small claims suit against a delinquent library patron and whether it was worth it.
We are considering this for one of our delinquent patrons who has 29 MelCat items that have not been returned.
The police have tried getting the items back for us, to no avail.

If you have filed in small claims, did you actually get reimbursed for the lost materials?
How does the library privacy act hinder the process?
Was the process worth it?
Anything else I need to consider?

Thanks for sharing your wisdom.

Valerie Meyerson (she/her)
Library Director
Petoskey District Library

Please think of the environment before printing this message.