[Michlib-l] Bed Bug Prevention

Cynthia Stanczak director at albionlibrary.org
Tue Oct 31 09:51:02 EDT 2023

Hello, all!

Bedbugs suck, and this has been a bad year for them.  I shared our
procedures and equipment lists back in 2020, but they haven't changed much
and still work really well for us. There's no true prevention, because
bedbugs are hardy and well-adapted to their biological niche, but there's
also an amazing sense of relief and empowerment that comes from knowing
you've been inspected and knowing how to address it for the safety of your
staff and patrons.  Bedbugs are a public health concern and must be
addressed as such.  They are also potentially a PR nightmare for a
library.  I don't know about your community, but gossip and old stories
rule in our small town and get shared for years, and no institution needs
that.

Our canine inspection company is K9 Bedbug Hunters. The dogs are eager and
well-trained and managed. You can tell that they really enjoy their work.
Owner's name is Sara Rodeheaver. The business phone is 269-317-4970.  You
can also reach her at k9bedbughunter at gmail.com.  They currently have
4 trained dogs and usually bring two to a job, so that they can confirm
hits or switch out the dogs for fresh noses when inspecting large spaces.
We found them through Orkin, and have 6 canine inspections per year, with
chemical treatments by Orkin, if necessary.  However, we haven't needed to
have chemical treatment since we got rid of the last of our fabric
upholstered furniture.

Any materials that are on a shelf with an inspection hit, as well as the
shelves above (because bedbug scent falls), are removed and baked in our
heat treatment unit (we use ZappBug).  The metal shelves are wiped down in
90-91% rubbing alcohol and allowed to dry.  When the heat cycle is done and
the items have cooled, each is inspected for signs of bugs or blood stains,
and, if clear, marked discreetly on the inside cover with the treatment
date, and returned to circulation.  We note which areas were hits, and any
items returned by patrons in the following 6 weeks that would be shelved in
that area are checked for that discreet mark and date.  If missing, those
items are sent directly to "the bakery" ('cause no one wants to start
itching when we say 'bedbug') for treatment, inspection, and then
reshelving.  We also check every item when going out and every item coming
back, including from MelCat. Anything suspicious is sent to the bakery.  It
also works for fleas and lice, if those are concerns.

My bedbug procedures, and quarantine and treatment equipment lists are
available to anyone who might want them (attached).  We funded our
equipment purchase through a grant from our library co-op.  The whole topic
makes me and my staff itch, and it's always a weird moment in training for
new people, when they learn that bedbugs and bookworms are real.  That
said, we're more comfortable with confirmed hits that can be immediately
addressed and resolved, than a general uneasiness of not knowing what we
might be taking home.  If you have any questions, I'm happy to answer and
you can reach me by phone or email.  We've been inspected 6 times/yr for
the last 5 years, and while we have something hit almost every time, the
scale of the hits have steadily decreased and are usually easily addressed
in a single day.

Cynthia Stanczak, MLS (she/her)
Library Director
Albion District Library
501 S. Superior St.
Albion, MI  49224
(517) 629-3993

Albion District Library: Transforming Minds, Changing Lives.
Proudly serving our community since 1919.
Online at www.albionlibrary.org, or find us on Facebook!

*My working day may not be your working day. Please do not feel obligated
to reply to this email outside of your normal working hours.*