[Michlib-l] MCLS Linked Data Users Group Wikidata Edit-a-thon: Schools

Heidi Keppen Palmer hkeppen at umich.edu
Wed Apr 3 10:07:58 EDT 2024

Join the *Linked Data Users Group of the Midwest Collaborative for Library
Services (MCLS) <https://www.mcls.org/engagement/linked-data-users-group/>* for
a free, semi-synchronous, week-long virtual event that explores Wikidata.
No prior experience is necessary! Project staff will provide you with
everything you need to create and edit Wikidata entities.

   - This edit-a-thon will take place the week of April 22-26. An opening
   event on the 22nd will include an introduction to editing Wikidata. A
   closing event on the 26th will review and celebrate what we achieved
   together. A Slack channel will be available to communicate with fellow
   Wikidata editors throughout the week.
   - In this edit-a-thon, we will focus on descriptions of local community
   schools and educational organizations. Participants may create Wikidata
   entries for their local organizations or create and edit entries for
   organizations provided by the edit-a-thon staff.
   - These events are free to all and will take place via Zoom; however,
   you must register in advance. Join for either event and edit during the
   week as much as you'd like. We will provide instructions, tools, data
   sources, and an optional Slack channel for chat. If you have questions,
   please contact LDUG steering committee chair Marianne Swierenga:
*marianne.swierenga at wmich.edu
   <marianne.swierenga at wmich.edu>*.

*Before the Event*

   1. If you don’t already have a Wikimedia account, please create an
   account on Wikidata.org: *Create Account
   <https://www.wikidata.org/w/index.php?title=Special:CreateAccount&returnto=Wikidata%3AMain+Page>*

   2. Register for the Opening and/or Closing Events using the Zoom
   registration links above
   3. Complete this *Google form <https://forms.gle/iX27uiJ6KxiWGbt66>* to
   be added to the Wikidata Event Dashboard *(required)* and MCLS LDUG
   Slack channel* (optional)*; (Link for existing users:
*https://mclsldugwikidata.slack.com
   <https://mclsldugwikidata.slack.com/>*).
   4. *(Recommended*) Complete these three *Wikidata Training Modules
   <https://outreachdashboard.wmflabs.org/training/wikidata>*: Introduction
   to Wikidata; Databases and Linked Data; and Adding to Wikidata

*For more information and to sign up, visit the **Linked Data Users Group
page <https://www.mcls.org/engagement/linked-data-users-group/>**.*

Heidi Keppen Palmer
LTS Librarian - Mardigian Library
University of Michigan-Dearborn
313-583-5401 | she/they

My workday may be different than yours. Please do not feel obligated to
respond outside of your normal working hours.

Connect with the Mardigian!
      <https://instagram.com/mardigianlibrary/>
<http://twitter.com/#!/MardigianLib>
<http://www.facebook.com/pages/Dearborn-MI/Mardigian-Library/67832143686>