[Michlib-l] Historical Question

Cameron Crawford cameron.crawford at baldwinlib.org
Fri Apr 19 14:08:00 EDT 2024

Dear Elizabeth,

Love questions like this! Looked up this MJ Monfore on Ancestry, on the
off-chance he *was* a doctor (and they simply would have put the dr. at the
end rather than before a given name) - but he was definitely a farmer.

Quick search on wiktionary indicates this abbreviation is used to indicate
a debtor? That seems to align with the following sentence after each
instance ("Debtor to Amelia Monfore...")

Hopefully this helped!

---
Cameron Crawford
he/him/his