[Michlib-l] Requirements for disposal of weeded books

Jesse Shirtz jshirtz at ishpeminglibrary.info
Mon Jan 8 11:39:01 EST 2024

Hello,

Does anyone else have to jump through these hoops to remove items from their collection? Could any libraries required to do any of the following (or something similar) please email me the specifics of them? I'd be happy to compile the results and share. Thank you!

  1.  Submit a list of weeded items to a governing body (Council, Board, etc.) for approval prior to disposal.
  2.  Place weeded/approved items on bid/make them for sale prior to disposal.

I'm trying to find anyone who's process is similar to ours: Items weeded from collection, itemized list sent to City Council monthly to be declared surplus, items placed on bid (like a silent auction), placed for sale, or sent to a company like Sustainable Shelves<https://ssp.baker-taylor.com/>, remainder recycled/given away.

Thank you!
Jesse

Jesse Shirtz

(she/her<https://pronouns.org/>)