[Michlib-l] Requirements for disposal of weeded books

Jean Fellows progcoord at gladl.org
Mon Jan 8 17:35:43 EST 2024

 Basically, two senior staff and the director make the determinations.  We
have library board, but aren't overseen by another governmental unit.

We remove books that are low-zero on circ stats, those that are outdated
(technology books are outdated FAST) due to new info, etc. or irreparably
damaged (blood, mold, water/coffee damaged, animal got to it, etc.).  We
check to see how many other libraries have them too. We discard any in such
poor shape that they can't go to the book sale shelves, or to a 'books for
the world" type donation. We have a used book sale constantly in our
Community Room.

But-- I understand that several years ago, individuals actively "shopped"
our dumpster and complained about the "perfectly good books we were just
throwing away" (Guess they didn't see the missing pages, blood or the mold
and mildew). So-- once bitten, twice shy-- we exercised additional cautious
measures for several years after that.

On Mon, Jan 8, 2024 at 5:11 PM Deb Hemmye via Michlib-l <michlib-l at mcls.org>
wrote:

> Sheesh!  We do not have anything like that.  Furthermore, we find that
> people are reluctant to purchase discarded library books even if they are
> in practically brand new condition.  Do you get a lot of sales this way?
> We do recycle unusable donations and weeded books.
>
> Good luck!
>
> *Deb Hemmye*
> Library Director
> Huntington Woods Public Library
> 26415 Scotia Road
> Huntington Woods, MI 48070
> 248-543-9720, ext. 686
>
> "But without questions, there can be no knowledge."
> From *When Women Were Dragons*, by Kelly Barnhill
>
> ------------------------------

Jean Fellows
(she/hers)
Programming Coordinator
Grand Ledge Area District Library
131 E. Jefferson St.,
Grand Ledge, MI 48837
517-627-7014

*The Grand Ledge Area District Library is situated on ancestral,
traditional and contemporary lands of the Anishinaabeg – Three Fires
Confederacy of Ojibwe, Odawa and Potawatomi peoples-- land ceded in the
1819 Treaty of Saginaw. For more information, see the article from Central
Michigan University
Library:https://blogs.cmich.edu/library/2019/11/26/the-1819-treaty-of-saginaw/#:~:text=In%20the%201819%20treaty%2C%20the,living%20on%20the%20ceded%20territory.