[Michlib-l] Fading Labels

Deb Hemmye dhemmye at hwoodslib.org
Tue Jan 9 14:01:57 EST 2024

I purchased a very expensive (around $1,200) Zebra thermal transfer printer after doing lots of research and after my tech processing staff member complained about his Dymo label fading so quickly. The thermal transfer printer seems designed primarily for creating barcodes for warehouses. It's significantly more complicated to use, although my staff are using it, and it was very hard to find small labels for it. They all seem to be short and wide, like a barcode, instead of tall and narrow like a spine label. I also could not find any colors except white, and I was hoping to make our children's spine labels a different color to help mitigate shelving errors. The labels I finally found wrap around the books more than I like, but the bigger problem is that they are shiny and shortly after we began using them, a book was returned with a completely blank spine label! Although they don't initially rub off easily, over time we discovered that they do. So we now cover them with tape even though the label itself sticks just fine and doesn't require tape, just the printing requires a tape cover.

Anyway, good luck to everyone. I have found this to be a largely unsolvable problem and, although I will continue with my thermal transfer printer, it isn't the surefire answer I hoped it would be. If anyone has a good (i.e. not shiny) spine label for thermal transfer printers, please do pass it on!

Deb Hemmye
Library Director
Huntington Woods Public Library
26415 Scotia Road
Huntington Woods, MI 48070
248-543-9720, ext. 686

"But without questions, there can be no knowledge."