[Michlib-l] Temporary type cards

Rebekah Dobski rdobski at hillsdale-library.org
Wed Jan 24 11:48:22 EST 2024

Hello there LibraryLand,

I am considering creating a different card type that is specifically meant for people in foster care or shelters that have a more variable address as opposed to something more permanent. The literacy levels in our area are not the greatest so I am hoping that maybe the library can assist and provide some level of service. We have many foster kids who technically reside in our service area but do not always stay in the same location. We are also concerned about loss of books if they were to suddenly be moved somewhere else. Our library still collects fines that only accrue and cap at $5, though if there is a late book AND it goes missing/damaged, a patron would have to pay up to $5 + the replacement of a book. I don't want to create extra barriers to the library for children who are already in a rough situation.

Do any libraries have a temporary card with perhaps more limited check out rules? Or any specific rules/guidelines/etc. that are different from a normal/regular card? I am hoping to crowdsource some information to bring to my next board meeting to hopefully get this type of card approved.

Thanks in advance! :)

Rebekah Dobski
Library Director
Hillsdale Community Library
11 E. Bacon St
Hillsdale, MI 49242
517-437-6472

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE: This communication and any attachments may contain confidential and privileged information for the use of the designated recipient named above. If you are not the designated recipient, an employee, or agent responsible for delivering this message to the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that you have received this communication in error and that any review, disclosure, dissemination, distribution, or copying of it or its contents is strictly prohibited. If you receive this communication in error, please destroy all copies of this communication and any attachments and notify the sender immediately via phone, fax, or electronic mail. Thank you.