[Michlib-l] Video Footage Redaction

Glenn Fischer gfischer at dewittlibrary.org
Mon Jul 1 17:56:31 EDT 2024

Hi, Megan, et al:

I know there are a few different solutions out there. I've only tested one
of them as I didn't want to spend the time with the software solutions I
found.Here's what I found and I offer these without endorsement or
guarantees:

   - SecureRedact <https://app.secureredact.us/> (powered by Pimloc) - They
   operate mostly in the UK/EU, but they do have US-based data processing
   centers. I created a throw-away account and uploaded some test
   video footage. Their system worked easily, quickly, and simply. I didn't
   need any training or instruction. You can redact faces and/or license
   plates as well as audio contained in the video clip. They offer a "free
   forever" level of membership where you can use their service on a total of
   20 minutes of video footage per month. The site did not ask for a credit
   card or any form of payment. Their site integrates with Google and
   Microsoft for easy authentication or you can sign up with an email address.
   - Blender VFX <https://www.blender.org/download/> - Open Source Software
   available for the Windows or Mac with powerful editing capabilities. This
   software can do motion tracking and blurring of any object you choose
   because the object selection is manual. The motion tracking is not perfect,
   but it is very good for a basic solution. I found a very nice YouTube video
   tutorial for using it to accomplish this task. I'd say on a 1-10 difficulty
   scale with 10 being "I need a college degree to do this", I'd give this
   process a 3-4 rating.
   - Adobe Premiere Pro apparently has similar capabilities to Blender, but
   ... well... Adobe. I don't have any experience with their video editing
   software personally.
   - Some security camera systems have this feature built-in. Verkada
   <https://help.verkada.com/en/articles/9321844-selective-face-blur-for-archives>
   has this built into their security camera systems.

I hope this helps or at least gives you a good place to start,

Glenn

*Glenn Fischer, MSI
<https://www.si.umich.edu/programs/master-science-information>
(he/him)Library Director* | gfischer at dewittlibrary.org