[Michlib-l] Class 5 Administrative Assistant Compensation?

Dan Hutchins danthutchins at yahoo.com
Mon Jul 8 15:17:47 EDT 2024

Hi all,
Ten days ago I asked those of you in class 5 libraries, with class 6s and 4s invited to chime in, to share with me what you pay your full-time accounting/finance/business person based upon education. I received such useful information I decided to ask those of you in class 5 libraries, with class 6s and 4s again invited to chime in, what you pay your library's administrative assistant? I've included the job description of ours below. Of note, VBDL's administrative assistant also has significant bookkeeping responsibilities and is our ILS admin.
Once again, thank you for your help!
Dan Hutchins
Executive Director
Van Buren District Library
200 North Phelps Street
Decatur, MI 49045
dhutchins at vbdl.org
http://www.vbdl.org
269-423-4771
Nature of Work:The Administrative Assistant is an administrative, clerical position, requiring a person who is able to work independently once library routines are mastered. These skills can be learned through on-the-job training.  Confidentiality and professionalism are expected and always required in this position. This person is expected to work independently and may devise their own methods of performing clerical routines within the framework determined by the supervisor. The Administrative Assistant serves the library on a full-time basis that includes some evening and Saturday hours.  The Administrative Assistant is responsible to the Assistant Director.
Responsibilities:1. Receipt revenues and maintain financial records2. Prepare monthly vouchers for payment of bills and prepare payments3. Prepares monthly library statistical report4. Order library supplies and check incoming orders against invoices5. Prepare monthly board information packet6. Serves as the administrator for the District’s integrated library systema. Maintain current patron registration file and produce overdue notices7. Prepare and process biweekly payroll8. Answer library phone and direct calls as needed9. Assist at circulation/reference desk 10. Other tasks as assigned
Qualifications:1. Two years of college or equivalent experience required2. Familiarity with bookkeeping including commonly used accounting software packages such as QuickBooks, Peachtree, etc.3. Intermediate level computer skills including Microsoft Office and Internet utilities4. Ability to learn standard library tasks, and to follow library policies and procedures5. Ability to establish and maintain cooperative relationships with supervisors, colleagues, and the public6. Ability to work some evening and weekend hours7. Ability to read fine print with or without corrective lenses, to lift 30 pounds, bend, twist, crouch, kneel and refile library material up to 90 inches in heightHours and Compensation:
 Level:  XX 40 hours per week Benefits dependent on hours assigned per week.