[Michlib-l] Twp. Library Payroll Responses

Membiela, Clare (MDE) MembielaC at michigan.gov
Tue Jul 9 12:15:21 EDT 2024

Hello All:

Thanks Kelsey for sharing the information!

Just a note to encourage any library paying or considering paying for financial services from a municipality to PLEASE establish and sign a fiscal agency agreement with the municipality which will lay out in writing the expectations of both the library and the municipality, the extent of authority the library board is delegating, establish the amount of money to be paid, the policies that must be in place, and any process for amending the agreement (for payment increases, for example).

A written agreement protects both the library and municipality and helps prevent misunderstandings and disagreements.

Depending on the library establishment type, a municipality may have certain fiscal duties established by statute towards the library that arguably, should be covered by the municipality's annual budget.

A library should consult with, and work with their attorney to establish an agreement.

Take care!
Clare

Clare D. Membiela, MLS, J.D.
Library Law Consultant
Library of Michigan
MembielaC at michigan.gov<mailto:MembielaC at michigan.gov>
517-335-8132

The research and resources above are for informational purposes only and not for the purpose of providing legal advice. You should contact your attorney to obtain advice with respect to any particular issue or problem.

"the State may not, consistently with the spirit of the First Amendment, contract the spectrum of available knowledge." Griswold v. Connecticut, 381 U.S. 479, 482 (1965).

Nourishing Michigan's Future during the summer!  Find a Summer Food Service Program site nearest you and encourage Michigan's children to Meet Up and Eat Up!    www.michigan.gov/meetupeatup<http://www.michigan.gov/meetupeatup>