[Michlib-l] Digital Collection Development Policy results

Betsy Myers mmyers at tadl.org
Thu Jul 18 10:36:30 EDT 2024

Hi everyone! Here are the results to my question asking if any library has
a holds ratio policy for digital items (ebooks and downloadable audio) in
their collection development policy...the answer is no.  Many people were
interested in the results and most gave best practices, which we follow as
well. Usually if a digital hold reaches 7-10 (or more) it depends on the
price of the license, the popularity (such as a book club placing holds to
read an older book that isn't very popular), the format, if it is available
as a CPC or a forever book, etc.

Best advice was to not have a number in your policy, just in your
procedures.

Thanks for the input everyone!

--
*Betsy Myers*
Reference Department

I recommend listening or reading Carley Fortune's new book, "This Summer
Will Be Different"--its swoon-worthy. (sigh)