[Michlib-l] Dolly Parton's Imagination Library

Michelle Frost mfrost at sturgis-library.org
Wed Jun 5 13:43:13 EDT 2024

Good Afternoon,

I have had someone approach the library about funding and partnering with
us to start a Dolly Parton's Imagination Library in our district. What are
some of the challenges you encountered if you offer/facilitate this through
your library?

We are already giving away free books in our district to babies through
12th grade during the Summer months at the Meet Up and Eat Up lunch
programs and to students taking Summer school classes. Last year we gave
away over 2,000 books during the Summer. We have an outreach van that we
use to transport books to these locations. I purchase the books through the
scholastic literacy partnership program using grant monies available to us
through our local community foundation.

I am wondering if I should encourage this potential partner to help fund
our current initiative, with the idea that we could use these funds to
potentially offer books all year long at low income housing locations. One
of the issues that I see with DPIL is that only 1 out of 12 books is
bilingual. In our community over 15% of the families speak Spanish. (over
35% of our students are ESL students)

Please share your thoughts.

--
*Best Regards,*