[Michlib-l] Library Welcome Bags

Jessica Keeler jkeeler at detroitpubliclibrary.org
Fri Jun 7 15:32:58 EDT 2024

Hi friends,

I had a handful of people request the responses from this question so here it is. Lots of great ideas! I ended up ordering pencils, stickers, erasers, a small field journal, lanyards with a library card holder attached, and bookmarks to color. I'll also include an informational flier and a welcome letter. I'm making these available to children ages 5-17.

Plymouth District Library

  *
welcome letter from the director
  *
tri-fold brochure about library services with insert cards about digital collections, databases and perks
  *
floor plan map
  *
invite to request a tour
  *
magnet with library hours
  *
brochure/donation form for our Friends organization

We also invite kids to do a scavenger hunt and if they turn it in, they get a little plastic wallet for their library card (except that I think the front desk never actually gives these out)

Shelby Township Library

  *
stickers

Lapeer District Library

  *
A bookmark to color
  *
A sticker that says "I got my library card today" or "I love my library".
  *
A welcome letter to parents that explain library privileges and a QR code link to our website for storytimes and children's events.

Hackley Library
Our goodie bag this year (ours is our SRP registration goodie bag) is a heavy plastic bag that says "I love my Library!" In the bag is a small diamond art kit, a pop it fidget, a tattoo, a small notebook, and small container of play doh.

Harland’s Cromaine Library
I love this idea! I think we sneak in a little database sheet, and we give every kid that signs up for a new card a little lanyard for the keychain part. I love the idea of stickers, too!

Flat River Community Library

  *
Welcome letter
  *
Services brochure
  *
Youth Services Brochures
  *
Program calendar
  *
Digital services/Social Media flier
  *
Shoutbomb Text Messages flier
  *
Michigan E-Library DIgital Resources
  *
Programming Interest Survey
  *
Invitation to our Craft-In program
  *
Bookmark
  *
“I got a library card” sticker
  *
1 piece of FRCL Swag

Howell Carnegie District Library
We don't hand out bags but a popular item that we hand out at other events are mood pencils.  We order them with the library name on them from Janway.  They're always a hit.