[Michlib-l] Starting a Volunteer Program

DHL Outreach dhloutreach at gmail.com
Fri Jun 28 11:33:32 EDT 2024

Hi folks,

I'm tasked with (re)starting a volunteer program at my library. I've found
Carla Campbell Lehn's *From Library Volunteer to Library Advocate* useful
in thinking about the purpose of a volunteer program, but am seeking
feedback from other libraries (especially Class 2 and 3 libraries) on the
following topics:

   - What kinds of tasks do you give volunteers?
   - How do you delineate supplementing vs supplanting staff
   responsibilities?
   - Do you allow volunteers to come into contact with patron information?

If you're willing to send me any feedback or advice to my staff email (
dhloutreach at gmail.com) I'd greatly appreciate it!

Thanks,
Molly McBride
--