[Michlib-l] NOW AVAILABLE - Recording of "What's Critical about Critical Librarianship?" by Emily Drabinski (February 2024)

Jesse Johnston jajohnst at umich.edu
Tue Mar 19 14:57:52 EDT 2024

Dear Colleagues, we were privileged to host Emily Drabinski, ALA 2023-24
president, last month for a talk at the University of Michigan School of
Information. We had great attendance in person and online, but in the hopes
of sharing with those who weren't able to attend or anyone who wants to
revisit the talk, I'm sharing a Youtube link to the recorded version of
Drabinski's talk. Please find the link and information below:

[image: Graphic advertising talk of Emily Drabinski at University of
Michigan School of Information, February 6, 2PM, Ann Arbor MI]

In February 2024, the Archives, Records and digital Curation (ARC) research
group at the U-M School of Information hosted a Data, Archives, and
Information in Society (DAIS) Seminar with Professor Emily Drabinski.
Generous support provided by the Carnegie Fund and the William W. Bishop
Lectureship Fund.

*Emily Drabinski* is Associate Professor in the Queens (N.Y.) College
Graduate School of Library and Information Studies. She serves as 2023-2024
President of the American Library Association.

*Seminar Title:*  What's Critical About Critical Librarianship?
*Abstract:*  Critical librarianship interrogates the past, present, and
future of normative library systems, asking both how they came to be as
they are and how they might be made different. Whose ways of knowing are
embedded in our cataloging and classification schemes? What stories do our
collections tell about what matters in the world? This seminar will address
these questions in the context of the current spate of attacks on libraries
and librarians across the country. How can #CritLib help us win the world
we want?

View the recorded talk at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AO8I4h1zSes

Drabinski's related paper on the topic is here:
https://academicworks.cuny.edu/gc_pubs/537/

--
Jesse A. Johnston
Clinical Assistant Professor
email: jajohnst at umich.edu
voicemail: (734) 764-2107

These words acknowledge the U-M's origins in a land grant from the
Anishinaabeg and Wyandot nations. Our university stands, like almost all
property in the United States, on lands obtained, generally in
unconscionable ways, from indigenous peoples. That land continues to
benefit us, materially and intellectually, and remains a debt of obligation
to provide education, benefit, and knowledge to all peoples of the State of
Michigan.