[Michlib-l] COMPILED Interview Questions List

Kari Besancon k.besancon at vlc.lib.mi.us
Tue Mar 26 14:41:14 EDT 2024

This is SUCH a great list of questions! Thank you to everyone who gave
me input!  Here is the compiled list for your use and enjoyment!

--
Describe a situation where you had to learn a new skill or technology
quickly. How did you go about it, and what was the outcome?

How comfortable are you with using social media professionally?

Being organized is essential for this position. How do you prioritize
your work when you have multiple deadlines to meet and what tools do you
use to stay organized?

How do you ensure that you maintain a high level of quality in your
work, even when facing interruptions, time constraints, or pressure?

Can you tell me about a time when you faced a significant challenge or
failure at work? How did you approach it, and what did you learn from
the experience?

Patron privacy is absolutely essential to our organization. How do you
ensure confidentiality and integrity while completing your task?

What do inclusion and diversity mean to you?

Can you describe a time when you had to work with a difficult patron
(student, customer, client) colleague, manager? How did you handle the
situation while maintaining professionalism and productivity?

Tell me about a time when you had to adapt to changes in a project or
work environment? How did you manage the transition while staying
focused on achieving your goals?

Additional Questions to consider adding:

1.Think of an instance when something you had planned went wrong. What
did you do?

2.Think of a day when you left work feeling that it had been a great
day.  Why?

3.Our mission is [your mission here]; tell us how you interpret that and
how your work would support it.

4.We value inclusion; tell us what that means to you.

5.If you could be any character, from any book/movie, who would you be
and why?

(You can justify this question by asking more specifically about the
characteristics traits they identify with and how they'd handle the
characters weaknesses.)

It's a broadened/librarian version of the "What Disney character would
you be?"

6.We now require anyone who will be doing Children's work-- esp forward
facing work like leading storytimes or Crafts-- to bring us a prepared
storytime: Theme, opening, stories (choose at least 3 books)1-2
songs/actions/fingerplays, and a craft idea, with a materials list and
example of how it would be set up and executed. They must also explain
how their choices reflect the theme.

7.We also take the question about a program with an unlimited budget and
then ask how they would scale it with a minimal budget. – Diane McKee
also attached two excellent lists of questions.

8.You are on the library trivia team- what area of expertise do you
bring to the table?

9.Katie Ester posted this AMAZING resource she got from the Facebook
group for library directors
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1N9segNyNeOssPYqfZ1pacKEHYDPpETKI00lHW_ppJF0/htmlview?fbclid=IwAR2PG7EffZlEknVUL1REO9Ufg91ocOA0tMLyxQPi_S0I6uIXF2cFTeiTU3s

10.How do you feel about glitter?

11.What advice would you give to your former boss?

12.What do you feel is one of the biggest challenges facing public
libraries today?

13.What is the difference between management and leadership?

--
Kari Besancon (Bə-sank’-in), MLIS District Director
Iosco-Arenac District Library
k.besancon at vlc.lib.mi.us