[Michlib-l] Evaluating the Director

Sharon Crotser-Toy scrotsertoy at stignacelibrary.org
Wed May 1 10:24:32 EDT 2024

Oh fun! 😉

My board has (possibly) never evaluated a director before. It's in my contract to be evaluated at the end of my first six months (which was approximately 18 months ago), so the time has certainly arrived. They have settled on an evaluation tool but do not have a process.

This has always been a mysterious undertaking at every small library where I've worked, so each one has been different. My understanding is that each trustee receives an evaluation document to complete, and this is possibly discussed as an agenda item at a regular meeting. Some locations have handled that through their personnel committee, as well.

My question: How does your board handle the director's evaluation, specifically the "sharing the results" portion? We are a Class II library, btw. My board would love some collective guidance to share.

Many thanks for your time!
-Sharon

Sharon CrotserToy
Director