[Michlib-l] Quirky (aka: non-traditional) bookclubs that work for your communities?

Rae Manela rmanela at novilibrary.org
Wed May 15 18:35:48 EDT 2024

Hello,

 I've done a "Silent Reading Party" to go along with the TikTok Trend I've
seen pop up in more urban cities. I usually have it coincide when I have a
book club break (I manage 2 book clubs which meet 9x a year). For the
Winter one, I had a crackling fire video from youtube playing quietly in
the background. We had half an hour to chat, 1 hour to read our books
quietly and 1/2 an hour at the end to chat some more. It was a small event,
I'm hoping my summer Beach themed one has some more interest. I host them
in the evening.

We've also had success with a SciFi/Fantasy Book Club which was new this
year and meets every other month.
 And we have a very popular ESL Bookclub which is run by a volunteer and
they meet weekly for a set period of time to go over a book.

For Kids, we had 2 librarians who hosted a "Camp Half-Blood" Book club
which met to discuss the Percy Jackson novels and each month they had an
activity or craft related to that book.

*Rachel Manela, MLIS, MAPH* (She/Her)| Archival Librarian

Novi Public Library |45255 West Ten Mile Road | Novi, MI  48375

Phone 248-869-7243

www.novilibrary.org

*Inform. Inspire. Include.*
Currently Reading