[Michlib-l] Women's National Book Association

Marika Zemke mzemke at commercelibrary.info
Tue Aug 6 11:35:51 EDT 2013

Interested in the world of books beyond just the format? If you are,
then the Women's National Book Association (WNBA) is for you. WNBA was
formed in 1917, BEFORE women had the right to vote! This organization gave
women all across the nation a chance to be heard, have input on things that
interested them, have a voice about information in the allied arts, and to
promote recognition of women's achievements. WNBA also serves as a catalyst
for all those in the book industry who desire to work together, whether you
are a librarian, author, publisher, reviewer or most importantly, a book
lover. The Women’s National Book Association (WNBA) launched National
Reading Group Month in October 2007 and I am honored to have been selected
to serve twice on the national committee selecting books that are
guaranteed to make excellent book club choices and have had great fun doing
so. WNBA loves and supports libraries.

Just some of the things we participate in:

1. U.S. Fund for UNICEF Literacy Campaigns

2. Eastman Grant ~ (Given annually, the WNBA Eastman Grant is a cash grant
given to a library association in a state where there is a WNBA
chapter. Given to support librarian professional development or training
offered by an official library association)

3.  WNBA Pannell Award ~ (for bookstores) To recognize and publicly applaud
the work of booksellers who stimulate, promote and encourage children’s and
young people’s interest in books

4. The WNBA Award (individual woman) Cash award to a living woman who
derives most of her income from writing and/or the allied arts

I would encourage all those who love books, reading and helping others to
consider joining this great organization. Please contact me if you are
interested in further information.

http://www.wnba-books.org/

Cheers, Marika
--