[Michlib-l] Partial Library Services to Contracted Areas

Frederick J. Kirby libraryfjk at yahoo.com
Tue Aug 6 14:36:29 EDT 2013

Hello All,

I have an interesting problem. My Library has long served the residents of a township that makes an annual contribution to our operating budget. Due to financial problems, the township wishes to drop its annual contribution, but would still be willing to give us its share of penal fines and State Aid. We are hoping to have a millage question on the township ballot this November, but if that fails, we need a backup plan.

My question is: Does anyone provided partial or limited library services to a contracted area? If so, how are the services limited?

I thought I would research this questions before turning to our attorney and/or the officials at the Library of Michigan.

Any suggestions or thoughts?

Frederick J. Kirby, Library Director
Benton Harbor Public Library
213 East Wall St.