[Michlib-l] Obamacare and Small Libraries

Hope Nobel hope.nobel at ymail.com
Wed Jul 31 10:20:15 EDT 2013

I was told that this does not take effect until 2014.  I was also told that the information was published rather quietly on the official blog, without news releases of any kind, which is one of the reasons it appears to be difficult to find a clear answer.
My information comes from a gentleman regularly helps me with insurance questions and who has a reputable insurance firm in my town.  He was very definite on this point, so I would say with confidence that the following is true:

 - Part-time Hours don't need to be cut until January 2014

I am not as clear about how the more/fewer than 50 employees rule will apply, but my impression is that the laws about providing insurance to those working 30 hours or more will apply to all of us sooner or later.  (There has been talk of doing it in phases by applying it to larger companies first, and then later applying the same rules to those with fewer than 50 employees).  This unfortunately continues to be a "gray area."

I hope this helps!  And I hope I may be forgiven for poking my nose in from another state - I still appreciate the MichLib listserve greatly and often benefit from your collective wisdom!

Hope Nobel
Director
Jackson County Public Library, WV