[Michlib-l] Obamacare and Small Libraries

Lise Mitchell gladldirector at gmail.com
Wed Jul 31 10:38:14 EDT 2013

Hi,

Well I just finished watching the archive of the webjunction webinar on
healthcare.
http://www.webjunction.org/events/webjunction/Libraries_and_Health_Insurance_Preparing_for_October_1.html

It's mainly for how libraries can get ready to help patrons coming in for
information.  Pretty useful webinar for patrons but not really for
employers.  But I did get a few useful notes.

If any of these items are incorrect, please feel free to speak up.

Marketplace opens, Oct 1, 13- March 31, 2014 -- everybody without
healthcare must enroll in a health plan during this time or have to pay a
fee on federal income tax.  $95/person or $200/family.  After 3/31/14 you
can enroll if you have qualifying life event.  After this 1st open
enrollment, the regular open enrollment will be Oct. 15-Dec. 7 each year.

For Michigan we will be using the federal website,
https://www.healthcare.gov/
In the Marketplace, users set up an account, and review health plans and
enroll.

Folks can also enroll over the phone by calling the call center,
1-800-318-2596

After Oct. 1 there will be groups called, Community Assisters, for each
state that will be available for help.  These groups are being funded by
grants being decided right now.

As to the question of 30 hours and whether employers have to offer health
care.  I think the confusion is that health care act is considering anybody
who regularly works 30 hours a week as full-time.  And the requirement
isn't 50 FT, its 50 FTE's.  I just looked at the state aid report data, and
only about 20 libraries (though this number will be higher since FT is 30
hours not 40 hours -- I guess we just work too hard in Michigan) reported
over 50 FTE and expect that they already offer health insurance.

They have a nice glossary on the website, and here is where they define FT.
https://www.healthcare.gov/glossary/full-time-employee/

There is also a lot of information on http://www.webjunction.org/; again
mostly geared at helping patrons.

I, like you, would like to be better informed as a employer and to help my
business patrons as well.

good luck, lise

--
Lise Mitchell, Director