[Michlib-l] background checks

Nannette Pretzer n.pretzer at vlc.lib.mi.us
Tue Oct 8 15:58:53 EDT 2013

A library can conduct background checks directly through the Michigan
Department of the State Police ICHAT program.  To enroll in this program and
gain access to ICHAT, the Library will need to contact Marci Tharsher, ICHAT
Coordinator at cjicichathelp at michigan.gov or call 517-241-0713 to obtain an
agency access code.  (There is a tutorial available online to provide
guidelines on how to use the ICHAT program at www.michigan.gov/msp for your
convenience).  This is a free service to all governmental agencies.

Our insurance agency also suggested that we could contact our local law
enforcement agency to ensure that potential employees do not have a
background that would disqualify them from working in the library.  They
state that this option was the most effective by allowing a law enforcement
assessment/comment of a potential employee's criminal background history.
Unfortunately, our local law enforcement agency was unable to perform that
service due cuts in funding and staff.

Nannette Pretzer

Director

St. Charles District Library